1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ram, PSU and Case - Help needed (Compatability check)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Distance, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Distance

Distance Thread Starter

So....

I wanted to get this ram:

Corsair 2GB (2 x 1GB Matched Pair) DDR PC3200

But someone told me to get budget ram and then get PSU and Case...

But what should i do?

Get the above ram or..

Ram:

Kingston 1GB DDR 400MHz/PC3200 (KVR400X64C3A/1G) CL3 Unbuffered 2.6V

Case:

Antec Nine Hundred - Gaming Case with 200mm Top Fan - No PSU

PSU:

There are 2 options for PSU

Hiper 580W Type-R Modular PSU SLI/CrossFire Certified - Blue

or

*UK Exclusive* Coolermaster eXtreme Power 650W PSU - ATX 12V V2.01 120mm Fan 20+4pin

Please help me choose whether to get the expensive ram, or get budget ram, PSU and Case.. and if so.. what PSU?!

Thanks

Josh

P.s my specs are in my sig

2. twizzie

twizzie

well, josh it really depends on what your planning on doing, and how much of it, and I don't see any specs on a signature

If you are a heavy duty gamer, or someone who doesn high-end tasks all or part of the day, the 2gb ram is great and the case is more than sufficent. And as for your PSU, I have to see your other parts to determine is you need the 580 or 650. Either way a dual power source thats redundant, is very reliable for heavy duty use.

3. Distance

Distance Thread Starter

Sorry, i had Show your signature turned off

Please recheck now... Im not a mega gamer as you can tell from my budget GFX card.. however i often have ftp/email/firefox/dreamweaver/cs2 open at the same time doing tasks.. and im fed up of my pc lagging so i am getting the ram upgrade...

I was going to get the high priced ram.. but since i wont be over clocking it i thought it would be a good idea to buy value ram and then spend some money on a PSU that will last threw quite a few upgrades as will the case

Josh

4. twizzie

twizzie

ahh, I would then go with the 2gb if you are going to multi-task, but if you know how to safely over-clock RAM, I've never heard of it, only CPU overclocking, you can go with the 1GB. And about your old power source, what's wrong with it? If your 500w can handle those, and you still want a new one, the 580w will siffice. You cannot utilize 640 watts, well at least I can't. Also one thing to look for in a psu, is dual fans to keep cool

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541000

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice