1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RAM question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by true_caucasi, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. true_caucasi

true_caucasi Thread Starter

Hi...
    I had a look inside my computer and I saw that I have 4 RAM slots (normal). But what I am not sure whether or not I can use all 4. I looked into the Manual and it said I have 2 DDR slots and 2 DIMM slots. But this was bolded in the manual.
    <b>"... you can only use one of the both SDRAM and DDR SDRAM at the same time"</b>
    Now im not sure. Does that mean that I can only use one of the two slots at the same time? That doesn't make sense! I want to add more RAM and at the begining I thought that I have 4 slots so I can freely just keep on adding 256 MB. But now I am having some doubts. So do I only have 1 more slot to add to (One slot is taken by a 256 MB DDR chip)?

And even if that is true, is there any way for me to possible be able to use all four slots?

Thank You.

2. hw45

hw45

That means you cannot use SDRAM and DDR-SDRAM together (you cannot mix them). So you can use only two slots (either SDRAM or DDR-SDRAM). The most you can use are 2 sticks of 512MB (1024MB), but 2 sticks of 256MB (512 MB) is plenty for Windows so far.

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

That means you can use two of each type independently........not one of each, and not 2 of each to fill all 4 slots at the same time.

4. true_caucasi

true_caucasi Thread Starter

Thanx...
    But I want to buy a 128 MB Video Card. So will 512 RAM be enough? 128 MB video Card with Windows XP?
    But that's so bad! Only two slots for RAM. But why is that? My motherboard is a new one. Why would they allow only two slots for RAM?
    As well, I just looked and I saw that my ram is 133 mhz. Does that mean that I can't get 266 mhz ram or any other speed? Just 133 MHZ?

5. roosterman

roosterman

you shouldn't have to worry too much about how much ram you have if you are going to buy a 128mb video card, however the more ram you have the better graphics you can have.

when it comes to SDRAM you can only have the PC133.

if you want to use the DDR slots, then you can have the max speed of what the slots are. that could be 266, 333, or 400 depending on what make and model of motherboard you have.

roosterman

6. Jtoast

Jtoast

most boards only have 2 slots now because ram chips are bigger. back when memory was expensive, everyone had small chips and upgraded as they could afford it. now with memory so cheap, most boards have slots that may hold a 1GB chip each.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114730

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice