1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ram question

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dug, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dug

dug Thread Starter

this is what i have 2 x 256 ddr333 pc2700 kingmax memory modules in a asus a7n8x deluxe m/b. since these specs tell me the performance range is 166mhz, and my bios says 133 im assuming by default or auto detect, should i change that to 166mhz.....my choices are 100, 133 , 166. reasons for the question is that my computer reboots sparatically. i havent been able to pin it to anything yet. could this cause the problem? or should i just leave it at 133?
    thanks
    -dug-

Capacity: 128MB/256MB/512MB
    . Performance range - 166MHz ( DDR333, CL2.5 )
    . Double-data-rate architecture; two data transfers per clock cycle
    . Bi-directional data strobe (DQS)
    . Differential clock inputs (CK and CK#)
    . DLL aligns DQ and DQS transition with CK transition
    . Auto & self refresh capability (8192 Cycles / 64ms)
    . Single 2.5V ¡Ó0.2V power supply
    . Programmable Read latency 2, 2.5 (clock)
    . Programmable Burst length (2, 4, 8)
    . Programmable Burst type (Sequential & Interleave)
    . Edge aligned data output, center aligned data input
    . Serial presence detect with EEPROM
    . PCB : Height (1,250 mil), double sided component

2. Emtronics

Emtronics

Most random reboots are due to overheating or bad ram. I would pull one of your sticks and see if your re-booting stops. If not, swap the stick out and run on the other one. Leave the board set at 133mhz.

3. dug

dug Thread Starter

cool, thats what im doing right now...i have pulled one module out and am just waiting to see what happens. according to my temp monitor, im sitting around 52c which is 20c's below my threshold. when i pulled out the one stick, it was slightly warm but not hot by any means. is it pretty common to get faulty ram when its brand new?

4. Emtronics

Emtronics

I've had faulty RAM right off the self. Made a believer out of me. Run on one stick and see if the random reboots stop. Also, check your cooling fans.

5. dug

dug Thread Starter

thanks emtronics!

im gonna test this for a few days, maybe this is the key!!
    cooling fans are working good. thinking about adding an extra one though. i have the cpu and pwr supp fan and are clean and running smooth. if i find out that its the ram ill put up a post so this can verify the problem!! thanks again.
    -dug-

6. Emtronics

Emtronics

No Problem. Been there, done that! And YES, please post back if this resolved your problem. Helps others who may have the same problem. :D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119637

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice