1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RAM question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by myvicisslow, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. myvicisslow

myvicisslow Thread Starter

if i doubled my ram, am i supposed to notice the difference? i ask this b/c i doubled my ram from 256 to 512 and i'm not noticing anything. comp still lags when i have multiple apps running, and apps seem to take just as long to open as it did when i had 256. fyi, this comp is a pIII 450 running windows xp pro.

2. raybro

raybro

3. JustBrInGiT

JustBrInGiT

First of all why do you even run Windows Xp pro on a P3 ?.It requires a minimal 256 DDR just to run it.

4. myvicisslow

does it? well i've been running xp on this machine for quite some time. a bit over a year and i've had no significant problems.

5. raybro

raybro

Not true... Paste from M$ site for XP Pro;

PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*
    Super VGA (800 × 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor

CD-ROM or DVD drive
    Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

Here's a link to the site:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/sysreqs.asp

6. myvicisslow

thanx for the link. belarc does show that i do in fact have 512mb of RAM.

7. dzones

dzones

You will run with minimal problems but you will have the problem you see now..lag.
    Minimum requirements are 400Mhz as well. you are running along the line of working and not working really.
    I would suggest just upgrading the processor to at least 800Mhz with 512 and then you should see better performance. Also make sure you have a pretty good video card as well. I have a machine at my shop i just use for downloading drivers..it is a 1.3ghz p3 with 512mb of ram but the video card is an onboard agp 16mb piece of crap. Makes the whole machine lame and very slow. I could not even play any halfway descent (sp?) games on it.

hope that helps.
    Dave

8. raybro

raybro

Hi myvicisslow... Suggest you do a general clean up on your machine. Minimize startup progs, dump temp internet files and history, defrag, run spyware scan, run a registry cleaner. All good stuff to do routinely to keep your system tuned up.

Your system config is OK for XP Pro, but at the lower end. It's all very subjective. What is fast for one person can be slow (or very fast) for another. What really counts is if it's good enough for your purposes. A faster processor may help, but system maintenance is essential. I'd go thru that first.

Programs running in the background is one of the most common causes of "lag". Take a close look at what progs intitiate at startup and kill those you have no real need for (the majority). Most can be launched when needed.

Here's a good reference site for all those startup prog wierd names and what they do (along with recommendations as to their need to be running):

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm#B

9. myvicisslow

thanx for the advice raybro. how do i run a registry cleaner? is there an application in windows for that or would i have to download some type of software?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170856

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice