1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ram Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ACA529, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ACA529

ACA529 Thread Starter

Hello,

I own an Asus M2NPV-VM socket AM2 motherboard and I'm looking to add some more ram. Right now, I have 2x512 MB Dual Channel memory installed. I'd like to get 2 GB of ram in it. Would I be better off going for another 2x512 MB Dual Channel memory kit or go for a 2x1 GB memory kit?

If I did the second option, I would be up to 3 GB of ram. Would that be noticeably faster than just 2 GB?

The ram that I'm looking at is here: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=18582&vpn=TWIN2X2048-5400C4&manufacture=CORSAIR

Is that any good?

Thanks,
    AC.

2. Shadow Kolezar

Shadow Kolezar

I'm new here but I think I can help out. I've been looking for more RAM for my own computer and I think that having 3GB on yours would be excessive. Depending on what your running(I'm running Windows XP) 2GB should be about the most you need. http://www.crucial.com has a great list of depending what you run how much RAM you need. They can also scan your computer and tell you what you can buy to improve it. I'm not sure how many slots you have but two 1GB RAM cards should be enough. 2GB RAM covers just about everything most people run nowadays. 3GB would just be wasteing money I think. Well, I hope I could help.

Edit: I just looked at your computer specs and I think two 1GB RAM cards would be the best way to go.

3. ACA529

ACA529 Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. Will this ram then be compatible with the ram I currently have in the computer? http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=18493&vpn=OCZ2G8001GK&manufacture=OCZ Technology

My motherboard has 4 ram slots all together.

4. Shadow Kolezar

Shadow Kolezar

From what I can tell by your computer specifications I would say no, but without more information I really can't tell. http://www.crucial.com has a compatibility guarantee and scans your computer free to find the exact RAM you need. Otherwise I'm not sure if it is compatible or not. I don't know that much about specific RAM compatibilities. Sorry I can't help more.:(

5. kryptonite1055

kryptonite1055

I am pretty sure that OCZ ram would work, BUT there is no real point in getting it. The fastest that ram would go is 5300, not the 6400 mb/ sec (if you leave in the old stuff in). The motherboard will have the ram go as fast as the slowest piece of ram you have installed. If you just had the the new OCZ stuff in there alone, you may need to change some settings in the bios to make sure they are running at full speed.

NOTE: i have had problems with some motherboards mixing speeds of ram (mainly laptops), and not working. My last motherboard did come with a manual telling me how to mix the ram, or if 4 sticks of ram are in, the speed went down to DDR 333, but if you went into the bios, you could try and manually override it. (my motherboard, this maybe different in your case, I have not researched your motherboard for details)

Also i did a similar upgrade, but with all DDR400, going from 2 x 512 MB to 2 x 1 GB. The reason why i don't leace the old ram in there, is b/c the timming of the ram would be slower, and i just don't have any programs that would really need 3GB of ram.

The best thing i think you could do is get some DDR2 800 that are 2 x 1GB (and take out the old ram). that would be the best answer. Your motherboard supports DDR2 800 so putting in the faster ram will also improve the performance of may applications. Yes this is a little more expensive, but you will notice the difference even more.

6. brite750

brite750

7. ACA529

ACA529 Thread Starter

So I get the same kind of ram that's already in my machine? :confused:

8. Taco John

Taco John

i've always been told not to get 2 different brands, timings, and capacities for RAM. So if i were you, i'd go with 2 more 512 sticks or buy 2 1GB sticks and remove the 512 mb stuff completely.

2GB is plenty for anything any normal person would be doing (and since you don't have 2gb now, i doubt you'd be doing anything that would require more than 2gb).

So either buy 2 GB sticks and remove the 2 512mb sticks or buy 2 more 512mb sticks and leave what you have in there. Find ram with timings about the same/exactly the same if you can and it will only do better. the closer you can get to what you already have the better, unless you just totally remove it.

9. ACA529

ACA529 Thread Starter

10. kryptonite1055

kryptonite1055

yeah they both look fine, but I would go for the corsair. I kinda have a question for you though. Why get the DDR2 667, when both your motherboard, and processor can support DDR2 800? After a rebate, they come out to be about the same price.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=24641&vpn=BL2KIT12864AA804&manufacture=CRUCIAL TECHNOLOGY
    those have the same latency timings at the corsair, and runs faster, and after the mail in rebate, the same price. I know the mail in rebates can be a pain, but i think it's worth a try.

To get the latency timings right, and get the ram at the right speed, you will need to get into the bios to change a few settings.

11. ACA529

ACA529 Thread Starter

I was told that the Mushkin ram that I got wasn't very good. :(

So I'm better off just getting new ram? This ram doesn't have mail-in-rebate.

Would I notice some speed improvements and less lag when I'm playing games if I get the corsair ram?

12. kryptonite1055

kryptonite1055

Mushkin is not the first name brand i would go for, but the people who do get it seem to like it.

Yes, i think you are better off getting new ram. The corsair does have lower latency timings (but also runs at DDR2 667. the same as the Mushkin you have now. so you won't notice a big difference.

The link i put is for crucial ram. That has the latency of the corsair (good) but also is DDR2 800 (better). you would notice more with the crucial, than the corsair. There is a mail in rebate with the crucial ram i picked.
    If you time the loading times, they may go down, and anything that is VERY CPU intensive, you will notice a speed boost.

13. ACA529

ACA529 Thread Starter

Alright, well I think I'll go with the corsair ram then.

If I upgrade to 2 gigs of ram I'll notice a big speed bost anyways.

Is it possible that it will work if I leave the current mushkin ram in the motherboard and then add the corsair ram? That would mean I have 3 gigs altogether. I'm sure I won't notice the difference between 2 and 3 gigs of ram, but it's better then leaving the mushkin ram sitting in a drawer somewhere.....

14. kryptonite1055

kryptonite1055

you can leave them in, but then you will lose the lower latency timings. There is a chance it will not work, if that is the case, take out the Mushkin first. I have some REALLY nice old ram (UTT BH-5 corsair.. mainly means it can overclock like no other) sitting here, that i can't really use b/c of problems between the 2 pairs.

15. Lil Chris

Lil Chris

if your running windows XP 32bit your more or less wasting your time with more than 2gb in fact if you put 3gb in you might have trouble.Xp 64 bit or vista supports more than 2gb but Vista brings its own problems especially if your a gamer.Vista needs 2gb of run to run at a decent speed.iIf your motherbaord supports dual channel you need two matched sticks and if you have more than two slots check your m/b manual they might not all support the same speed of ram. I have a old Asus board with three slots only two support pc3200 ddr or three 2700 ddr as an example.like some one suggested try crucial online check for advice you dont have to buy it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596472

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice