RAM Registered VS UnRegistered

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

moe74

Just found out my machines requires registered SDRram. For the life of me I can't find out what this means. What is the difference between registered and unregistered ram?

Here's a description of the two types of SDRAM you refer to from compaq.com's website.

Q: What is the difference between registered and unregistered SDRAM?
A: SDRAM comes in two varieties - registered and unregistered. The difference is the presence of a clock synchronizing circuit in the registered SDRAM that provides support for the memory system. Memory transfers to and from the processor are transmitted as burst cycles. Four 64-bit transfers between the processor and memory make up a burst. Registered SDRAM synchronizes the system clock and a clock in the memory itself to maintain the proper burst timing. In simple application environments, this feature is less important, therefore offering less expensive unregistered SDRAM enables a more cost-effective solution for the customer. In addition, unregistered SDRAM, though offering less expansion, enables higher performance than registered SDRAM.
Hope this answers your question.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online