1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ram Scrubber

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by warangelkj, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. warangelkj

warangelkj Thread Starter

I find a ram scrubber to be helpful. I am currently using WinCleaner with good results on XP but it won't hold up on Vista on my laptop. Can anyone recommend a good free one that will work on Vista?

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

I would love to hear why you believe a scrubber actually does anything.

It's whole purpose is to create free memory. That is, memory that isn't being used. And, in the process it arbitrarily moves in use ram out to the pagefile (which, if it was just in-use, will be immediately paged back in).

As well, some even advertize that they defrag the ram. Since this is architecturally impossible (and of no use even if it were), this function again is a waste.

At the end of the day, these apps do 2 things (both counter productively)
    1. Create free ram (other than early versions of Windows 95, Windows does not need available ram to function)
    2. Cause the pagefile to become larger
    3. Exercise the disk drive

So, if this was the purpose of installing one of these, it has met it's objective.

3. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Don't worry, WhitPhil, someday, people are going to realize it: Free RAM is wasted RAM. If Windows isn't using RAM, that RAM is being wasted.

It's true that programs require contiguous RAM to function, but Windows solves that problem far faster that any program could. Windows can swap segments in 4K increments, and can swap from RAM to RAM without using the swap file. His "Memory defragger" can't do that.

I say we help him with his program (then sell him ocean-front property in Arizona).

Courtney sends....

4. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Actually that's not so. That's part of the magic of the stack architecture.

But, I do like to hear why posters believe that these programs actually do anything for their systems.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593567

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice