1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RAM Shortage??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WINME, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WINME

WINME Thread Starter

Is there a way for one to tell as to whether or not their system is lacking needed RAM? And is there a way for one to tell as to what RAM would work best for their particular system?

2. chakorules

chakorules

If you have Windows XP/2000 you can give your computer the three finger salute "CTRL-ALT-DEL" and view memory in task manager under PERFORMANCE. Monitor your page files also, this is the amount of hard disk allocated to memory. You can also tell if you try to do stuff and your computer access the hard drive ALOT....this means it's digging into PAGE FILE memory more so than physical ram.

3. WINME

WINME Thread Starter

The system I am wondering about has Windows ME on in. I was able to take The Belarc Advisor that another member posted a link for and rand that through this system. It is running a Tyan Computer Corp i440BX-NS351 MoBo, with a 350MHz Intel Pentium Processor, and only 64MB of RAM.

If it is running SDRAM I could snatch about 128MB from another system that is ready for the bone yard and use in this one, if there is a way to see if the RAM is compatable.

4. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

I wouldn't run WinME with less than 512.

5. chakorules

chakorules

As bad as WinME manages memory..I won't run WinME with any less than 2GB. This should last you about 3 days before having to reboot because WinME won't release memory that has been used. ;-)....all joking aside.

It won't hurt the system to "try" the 128MB stick. Stick it in an see what she does.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223334

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice