RAM speed compatibility

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Epic

Crucial's memory configurator recommends PC2100 RAM for my system (Compaq Presario 6320US). If I get PC3200 RAM instead, will there be a performance benefit? PC3200 is easier to find in retail stores around here. If it's no difference, I'll probably just buy PC2100 online.

Thanks.

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Your system has a Bus speed of 266Mhz so there is no point in using faster memory as it will only run at 266Mhz so thats why Crucial only recommends PC2100. If you can find PC3200 or PC2700 RAM cheaper locally then you can give it a try as in most cases it will work, just at the slower speed.

I've never had a problem using faster RAM in Compaq machines except for ones that use the Nforce chipset, for those I have to order in special Compaq-compatible RAM, nothing else works.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts