1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ram switch ??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tonysmith1929, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tonysmith1929

tonysmith1929 Thread Starter

Hi....Can I replace a 256 SDRAM stick with a 512 DDR1?? Physically they are the same..
    The 256 is PC2100, The 512 is PC3200 and I have 2 spare sticks. Thanks, even if the answer is NO...........

2. kfinpgh

kfinpgh

Based on the info you gave us, yes, you can install the new memory. If your mobo allows dual channel, use matched DIMM strips in the indicated slots to get yourself a slight performance benefit. Removing the 256 and installing both 512 pieces will give you a huge performance improvement.

Make sure you clean the slots first and install the DIMM pieces properly.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes you can but it is not a good idea. First of all if it even runs which is highly unlikely, both sticks will run as 2100. Ram is so cheap these days where you can buy a gb for $25, why not do it right.

4. tonysmith1929

tonysmith1929 Thread Starter

Not in UK you cant....Its around $80 a Gig, and I have two slots, with 1 256 in it, 2 512 available spare....Will give it a try, the old PC is expendable anyway, just didnt want a fire on my hands.Thanks to you both....

5. RoBe

RoBe

whaaaa?

where have you been looking? Pc World?

there's some 1gb sticks on scan.co.uk for only about £20

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704972

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice