1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RAM tech question (2x DDR2 800 vs. 4x DDR2 533)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dashdanw, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dashdanw

dashdanw Thread Starter

I have a 1GB stick of pc4200 (533mhz) ram in my comp at the moment, which is an AMD dual core w/ a 2000mhz MT FSB, in an AMD M2N4-SLI motherboard. Im wondering whether it would be better to start off by buying pc6400 (800mhz) RAM or sticking with what i have, the question is would 4 sticks of RAM running at 533mhz which adds up to 2132mhz total (533mhz x 4sticks) be the same as 4x sticks of pc6400 since the FSB would handle them running the same speed (3200mhz total, much greater than the fastest the FSB can run which is 2000) is having the more powerful ram better if i have so much that the FSB cant handle the speed? Im not really knowledgable in this field so i thought id ask the pros.

heres a link to the motherboard:http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=101&l3=323&model=1266&modelmenu=1

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

Clock speed isn't additive--not in processor speed, bus speeds, anything. The entire system is timed in a multiplier.

If the board supports DDR2 800 (which it does), it will run at that speed regardless of how many sticks you put in it.

There is a performance advantage to running DDR2 800 or 533, but I don't know that the difference between 533 and 800 is going to be worth the $250 or so you'd spend on 2 GB of that.

If you want to overclock this thing, or get better game performance, than it might be worth the expense.

Is there a specific reason you want to upgrade? Overclocking? Gaming? Those would be the only two reasons to even consider it.

3. dashdanw

dashdanw Thread Starter

im a gamer, plain and simple. What would be my best course of action in your opinion? i know i need more ram and i have some cash to burn on other stuff as well.

4. telegramsam

telegramsam

The video card is the key element.

If it were me, I'd get the Corsair DDR2 667, 2GB. (The Value Select) However, since you already have 1 GB of DDR2 533, matching that with another gig will give you dual channel, and 533 is pretty speedy RAM. I can't imagine your gaming suffering with in this setup.

Then look at video cards. Right now, if you want to get ready for DX10, look at the 8800GTX. That's about as speedy as it gets, and you're ready for Halo2 when it comes out!

Be aware, you need a hefty power supply for those high end cards. What do you have now?

5. dashdanw

dashdanw Thread Starter

right now my Gcard is a 7600GT which i have considered bridging (through SLI) with a second 7600GT, my PSU is an Allied 500W, also, i wanted to buy a case with flashing lights and somesuch! does that drag alot of wattage out? and what would you suggest? 2x 7600GTs or 1 8800GTX?

6. telegramsam

telegramsam

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html?modelx=33&model1=606&model2=528&chart=196

Look at these charts. You can compare 7600GT's in SLI to an 8800GTX. I looked and the 8800GTX spanked the SLI rig in FPS. You can compare lots of other things in there... With the 8800GTX, you get the performance and you're ready for DX10. I'd certainly lean that way myself.

Allied really isn't a great brand of PSU. If I were spending this kind of money on an upgrade, I'd be looking at protecting it with a Corsair, OCZ, PC Power & Cooling, or FSP. Don't worry too much about wattage. You're worried about amperage on the 12V rails, and whether or not it has a PCIe power connector.

LED's and stuff don't hurt a PSU that much--no need to really worry about that.

7. dashdanw

dashdanw Thread Starter

most helpful as usual! thanks a million,

1 question though, does the 7600gt SLI listed mean its 2 of them linked through SLI or its just the SLI version of the 7600 GT??

8. telegramsam

telegramsam

If it says SLI, that should be a pair, yes. As far as I know, any 7600GT should be SLI compatible.

You can see the single card below it--but not much further below it. SLI has been accused of being a marketing gimmick. I don't know if it's quite that bad, but you can see that the 8800GTX pretty much slams anything in that GPU area, SLI or alone.

9. dashdanw

dashdanw Thread Starter

true true, i know if i had the money on hnd that would be the first thing i would buy, i took a look and as a matter of fact is sli compatable.........sweet, imagine 2 of those things running on one comp! thats about 1200 on the graphics alone....id want it tho cause im a total FPS junkie ;D, and do u think that a 500W is enough juice to hold me over until i get a more dependable PSU?

10. telegramsam

telegramsam

It probably is, but I would strongly advise you to do the power supply now. Imagine torching that brand new $600 video card, or your board... It could happen. Allied PSU's don't have a good reputation. It could all be just fine too. It's just a risk you have to decide if you are willing to take.

And yeah, you could totally run 8800GTX's in SLI--that would be something to see. I think it will be a long time before you'll see any games that would actually take advantage of something like that, however. Either way, even with a single GTX, you will be one happy gamer, I'm thinking...

11. dashdanw

dashdanw Thread Starter

and 500w will cut it?

12. telegramsam

telegramsam

IF it has the amperage on the 12 volt rails to power the card.

You need (per EVGA's specs): A minimum 450W PSU with at least 28 amps on the 12 volt rail.

In the overall system wattage can be used to define needs--sort of.

When it comes to these power mad video cards, you MUST exceed the amperage rating at the 12V level. Like this example of an excellent PSU for your system: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817371002

It's going to sting--I know, but what you're protecting is much more valuable. The peace of mind alone, for me, would be worth the $100! AND since this has 54 smoking amps @ 12 volts, you could keep then when you upgrade to a pair of 8800GTX's!

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541309

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice