1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ram trouble

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by emachinegamer, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. emachinegamer

emachinegamer Thread Starter

Hey, I know u all probably hate RAM and BIOS problems, but hey I got one that is stumping me right now on my friends comp.

He has an alienware abit motherboard, with 1gb (2x512) 3200 ram, fx-65 processor etc. He recently replaced his Radeon video card with an Nvidia, that worked fine. He had bought some ram to go in too. It is kingston 2700 1gb DDR. His motherboard takes DDR. Now, he didn't have his owner's manual but knew it was ddr so bought this 2700.

I think (am really sure) his alienware takes 3200, so when he put it in (3rd slot), it did the ram beeping thing (the computer couldn't clock down). He tried in 4th slot no go. From what he told me he did it the right way, ie shutting off computer before removing/installing each time.

He said, one time on the 2nd one of the original sticks, the end came out so half was in and half was out, (he didn't notice) beeped that time (this was after he had tried in the 4th slot so this was without new ram in and supposed to run fine but orig stick wasnt in all the way) and shut off put back in, computer started up.

Booted up and then said bios was in fail safe mod and press f1 to continue, did so and said error loading op system no windows load screen. He called me in at this point, and I told him to remove battery for 1-2hrs etc. Thinking it was a bios problem from the 2700. Did, so no fail-safe mode this time or subsequent times, but still op-system error every other restart after been running. If it restarts with error he has to restart again to get it to load windows. But, if he leaves it overnight and starts it up cold no op-error??????

Then every time whether op error or not windows loads slower (alot slower) on the startup screen with loading bar, bar actually stops for awhile. Then when in his account takes longer to load startup programs, also when playing games, it takes longer to load a map. Like in bf2142 or bfv or cod2 the map loading takes alot longer. He recently re-installed windows and has been running fast and fine, recently defragged, no spyware or viruses.

Thanks guys, sorry for the long post, but wanted to give u the info. This one has me stumped, but still checking through stuff on the internet.

I hate being the dorm computer troubleshooter..... Its always tons of easy stuff, and then one really hard case..... I think the computer gods are punishing me.

2. Blazintails

Blazintails

Did you check abit site to see what max size Ram that motherboard will accept? That is very important.

Also did he try the new ram in the first slot? I have also found some motherboards/ram are not compatiable with each other. You should also check the motherboard site for their suggestion on which ram it supports. :)

3. emachinegamer

It will accept 1 gb size, I know that, and i am pretty sure now it ONLY takes 3200 ram, 400mhz clock speed. That was his problem with the ram not working, so he will return it and get something else like 3200 1 gb.

I am stumped as to the problems after....ie op error and loading slow. Windows still recognizes 1gb of ram. My friend doesn' t want to run memtest, so I don't know if part of the orginal ram died do to being half stuck in, or the bios is clocking it down.

4. Blazintails

Blazintails

Well my thought would be, if he is to lazy to do the memory testing, that I would let him deal with it.

This behavior to me is disrespectful for him to ask your advice, then to only do things half arsed. I would send him a roll of duct tape as a birthday gift.

5. emachinegamer

He thinks it (memtest) messed up is computer last time he ran it, but that was alienware's fault. Seriously this computer is a piece. Alienware forgot heat sink gel on the fx processor, burned it. Sent some guy out and put some on, so that stopped the freezing from overheating. I told he him he should have gotten a new computer, for the amount he paid for this thing, I could have made two comps just as good, well probably one awesome comp. It has had other problems with freezing etc. but after reinstalling windows it was a lot faster and more reliable. It was freezing in games, but I found that the fan died on his old radeaon platinum so he got a geforce 7 something in there now. I am going to try and coerce him into running memtest, he probably will. Anyways, the only thing i can think of is bad ram now. Because bios was set to default, mem recognizing is on auto, and even on manual and set it to spd it is the same. So, I am thinking it is that stick of ram, when it was half in probably cooked part of it. I don't know any suggestions.

Thanks, I will try and run memtest tmrw and see what we got.

6. icemanx

icemanx

no comment sorry

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644544

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice