1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RAM upgrade and PSU gone wrong :(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by piemaster, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. piemaster

piemaster Thread Starter

Hi,

I decided to buy some new ram :

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/327480...n/Product.html

to upgrade my PC from two 512 PC3200 sticks to two of the above 1gb sticks. My bios is set to auto detect the memory and upon replacing the old memory with the new and booting the system once windows started to load the power supply died rather impressively, sparks and all.

I quickly went and purchased another power supply (relatively cheap at £25). I installed the new power supply and after changing my bios to use ddr 400 ram it seemed to work fine as leaving the bios to auto detect the ram didnt work. I left my pc on for several hours using it normally and shut it down. The power supply, like its dead predecessor, has a switch on the back to turn it off and on. when it is on and the computer is off, the mouse infrared is still on. returning to by pc i noticed that the mouse light was out but the switch was on, indicating there was no power. I tried booting my pc but it appears that the ram has claimed a second power supply as nothing happens:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...y=1m4#overview

My specs are:

ASRock K8S8X motherboard
    amd 3200 64bit clawhammer
    agp 256mb nvidia 7600gt
    soundblaster audigy se sound card
    120gb hdd
    nec dvd rw

Please help. what would cause this to happen? would it be faulty ram? is it a ram voltage problem (the ram says it has voltage of 2.6) should it be 3.3v? could this be that the bios isnt picking up the ram details causing it to overload the cpu?

I appreciate any help.

2. Compaq__

Compaq__

Hi,

I find it hard to imagine that RAM could blow your power supply. How do you know the second power supply is dead? Does the fan run?

3. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

I dont know if it's just me or what, but both of those links are broken. Could you re-post them?
    I'll give more help once I see what RAM and power supply you purchased.

4. piemaster

piemaster Thread Starter

Ah sorry about the links, just checked these and they should work:

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/32748...ry-1GB-PC3200-DDR-400MHz-184-Pin/Product.html

and the 2nd psu that blew is only a cheap one so it may have been a coincidence:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=223165&doy=1m4

I didn't want to commit to a more expensive for fear of it blowing,. plus I'm thinking of buying a new pc soonish so didn't want to spend to much.

As for the second supply that blew, no absolutely nothing happens when I turn it on. It worked initially, but after turning off the pc and going back to it, it refuses to do anything.

update:

ok I put the old ram in the pc along with a new power supply. Guess what! It works fine until i turn off the pc, at which point the power supply is dead once more :( Exactly the same problem as the 2nd PSU. I'm running outta PSUs and patience so any ideas?

Thanks for the posts for far

5. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

Ok, so you turn off the computer, then turn it on again and what happens? Absolutely nothing? Or do the fans turn on and it just doesn't boot?

6. piemaster

piemaster Thread Starter

absolutley nothing happens, its just like if the pc wasnt turned on at the wall and i was pressing the power button.

7. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

Use the CMOS jumper to reset the CMOS, then try to power on again. If you look at Page 8 (I think) of your motherboard manual you will see a layout of the motherboard. The clear CMOS jumper is labled # 9 and it is right below the battery. The will be 3 pins sticking out, pins 1, 2 and 3, respectively. I believe the jumper is on the last two (2 and 3). Move it to the first 2, hit the power switch (nothing should happen) then move it back and see if it turns on.

If that doesn't work put the 2nd power supply back in and see what happens. I think some sort of BIOS or CMOS failure (as a result of the first power supply) is more likely than three power supply failures in a row.

It may turn out that it's time to buy a new computer a little earlier than you anticipated.

8. piemaster

piemaster Thread Starter

It's still dead :(

Thanks for the help though :)

Time for a new pc.

You mind if I ask your opinion of a potential new system? I'm looking for a solid gaming pc

I like in the UK and was thinking of ordering from either: www.yoyotech.co.uk or www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk or http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/pcranges.html

I'm looking to spend a maximum of £900-£1000.

I was thinking of
    intel quad core Q6600 (or Q9300)
    4gb of ram (is it worth going for ram faster than ddr2-800?)
    200gb+ HDD
    single geforce 9800 gtx or dual SLI geforce 8800gt video cards.
    wireless card

Is it worth geting vista home 64bit rather than 32bit?

9. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

OK, I don't know good computer stores for the UK, bot those parts you listed are good. The Q9300 (last time I checked) is supposed to be out late this year, so I don't know if you want to wait for it. It only offers a minor performance gain over the Q6600 anyway. Don't get anything more than DDR2 800 unless you plan to overclock the processor significantly. I recommend this hard drive (You'll have to find it at another site):
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136218

I would go for two 8800GTs, they offer better performance than a 9800GTX.
    If you SLI those cards then get a 780i motherboard and a nice 650-700W power supply.

10. piemaster

piemaster Thread Starter

These sites are selling the q9300 so i think it's out.

would 8 gb of ram be overkill?

Is it worth getting vista 64bit over 32bit?

11. piemaster

piemaster Thread Starter

OK, this is the best deal i can find with a 780i motherboard, it's £1111.60 : / But I guess i can stretch to that. I've replaced the 420w power supply with a 700w OCZ one.

# *BASE_PRICE: [+237]
    # CAS: NZXT Lexa Blackline Performance Mid Tower Steel 420W Case w/Red LED Light [+23]
    # CASUPGRADE: NONE
    # CS_FAN: Default Case Fan
    # CPU: (Quad-Core)Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz 1066FSB 8MB L2 Cache 64-bit [+86]
    # CD: SONY DUAL FORMAT 18X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)
    # CD2: NONE
    # CABLE: None
    # FLOPPY: 1.44 MB FLOPPY DRIVE [+5] (BLACK COLOR)
    # FLASHMEDIA: None
    # FAN: Thermaltake Blue Orb II CPU Cooler [+19]
    # HDD: Single Hard Drive (250GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+7])
    # HDD2: NONE
    # IEEE_CARD: NONE
    # KEYBOARD: NONE [-4]
    # MOUSE: NONE [-4]
    # MODEM: NONE
    # MONITOR: NONE
    # MONITOR2: NONE
    # MOTHERBOARD: (3-Way SLI and E8x00 & QX9x00 Support) EVGA nForce 780i SLI Mainboard FSB1333 DDR2 3 x PCIe x16 SATA RAID w/ USB2.0,IEEE1394,&7.1Audio [+92]
    # MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)4GB (2x2GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory [+82] (OCZ Gold w/ HeatSpreader [+30])
    # NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100 NETWORK CARD
    # OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic w/ Service Pack 1 [+45] (64-bit Edition [+9])
    # PPU: NONE
    # PRO_WIRING: None
    # POWERSUPPLY: 700 Watts Power Supplies [+90] (OCZ GameXStream 700W SLI Ready Power Supply [-6])
    # RUSH: NONE
    # SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
    # SPEAKERS: NONE
    # TEMP: NONE (AS SHOWN)
    # TVRC: NONE
    # USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
    # USBHD: NONE
    # UPS: None
    # VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 16X PCI Express Video Card [+103]
    # VIDEO2: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 16X PCI Express Video Card [+121]
    # VIDEO3: NONE
    # WEBCAM: NONE
    # WNC: PCI Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps Network Interface Card [+11]
    # WAP: NONE
    # WARRANTY: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT

I think I'm fairly happy with that sysyem save the operating system as i hear bad things about vista's driver support, and I'm guessing that the 64bit version isn't well supported.

12. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

That really shouldn't cost over 800 (pounds? euros? both about the same). That is a pretty good warranty though. Where are you ordering from?

13. piemaster

piemaster Thread Starter

this is from www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk

I think it's more than that £800 mainly due to the extra VAT tax we pay in the UK :( (17.5% tax on everything over the retail), without that its about £950 ($1891)).

I tihk the exchange rates are:
    £1 = $2
    £1 = 1.3 euros

I've tried to find a comparable system from:

www.yoyotech.co.uk
    www.novatech.co.uk
    www.overclockers.co.uk
    www.meshcomputers.com

Many do not have over 2gb of ram or a 780i mobo though.

But they all seem more expensive, I think in general buying in the UK is expensive :(.

Curse me for living in such an expensive country : /

14. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

OK well that sounds better before the tax. You probably want to go with vista home premium instead of vista home basic. Basic doesn't have the Aero interface that makes vista so pretty, and it cant do some other things like like to an xbox, and it doesn't have media center. As for the 64 bit thing, just do your homework first. Find your most used programs and google them to make sure they work in vista 64. I run vista 64 and the only programs that haven't worked for me have been free video converters that are pieces of crap anyway.

15. piemaster

piemaster Thread Starter

Well as long as world of warcraft works anlong with the newer games that's fine.

There seems to be some confusion whether it works or not. Do you have any idea?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699282

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice