1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ram upgrade not recognised

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by sdp3501, Dec 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sdp3501

sdp3501 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Shawn
    i have two slots for ram. i had one stick equalling 32meg. i put in 128 and everything went fine. so i relaced the 32 with another 128 thinking i would get 256 megs of ram, but the system says i only have 128. the chip snapped in solidly. i have win 98.
    i also have the following under "problem devices" in system info...Advanced Power Management support
    System
    This Device Has a Problem: Code=10 (0xA)
    This device is not present, not working properly, or does not have all the
    drivers installed. See your hardware documentation.
    Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\enum\ROOT\*PNP0C05\0000
    Alloc resources: None
    Forced resources: None
    Boot resources: None
    Filtered resources: None
    Basic resources: None
    INF Name: MACHINE.INF
    Driver: System\0008
    Driver Date: 4-23-1999
    Driver: vpowerd.vxd
    File Size: 37523 (0x9293)
    File Date: 4/23/1999 10:22 PM
    Company Name: Microsoft Corporation
    File Version: 4.10.2222
    Driver: power.drv
    File Size: 1920 (0x780)
    File Version: 4.10.1998

Microsoft 32-bit DLC
    NetTrans
    This Device Has a Problem: Code=2 (0x2)
    Device failure: Try changing the driver for this device. If that doesn't work,
    see your hardware documentation.
    Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\enum\NETWORK\MSDLC32\0001
    Alloc resources: None
    Forced resources: None
    Boot resources: None
    Filtered resources: None
    Basic resources: None
    Driver: NetTrans\0002
    Driver Date: 4-23-1999
    Driver: NDISWAN.vxd
    File Size: 13011 (0x32D3)
    File Version: 4.10.1998
    Driver: dlc.vxd
    File Size: Driver Not Installed
    File Date: Driver Not Installed
    i dont know if this is connected and after reading related posts recognise that i may have more ram than win98 needs.

2. jbcalg

jbcalg

not sure of the sequence:
    you started with 32 in slot 1
    you added 128 to the slot 2, leaving the 32 in the slot 1?
    then added a 128 to slot 1, replacing the 32?
    - did the Pc boot with 128 at that point or 160?
    - how are verifying the RAM, during the boot up or in right click, my computer, properties?

what's your motherboard name and model, are you sure it will take more than 128?

a little more info should help

3. sdp3501

sdp3501 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Shawn
    i had 32 in what i guess was slot one. i could seem to get the 128 stick to snap into what ill call slot 2 so i switched them and wound up with 160. so i thought that i would grab another 128 and be done with it. i replaced the 32 in slot 2 with the new 128 and it snapped in fine. the checking navram at bootup says 128. the system info in windows says 128 as well. i hopes this helps.
    i dont know what motherboard i have....thanks

4. jbcalg

jbcalg

i had 32 in what i guess was slot one. i could seem to get the 128 stick to snap into what ill call slot 2 so i switched them and wound up with 160.

did it actually say 160 at startup after this?
    - if so your board will take more than 128

was the 2nd 128 stick the same as the 1st - same brand, buy it at the same place?
    - sometimes you get bad ram, sometimes it's good, but won't work with a different brand

have you tried each of the 128 sticks by itself to see if they work
    - see if they work separately

5. sdp3501

sdp3501 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Shawn
    ill screw around with it and get back to you within 20 mins..same manufacturer

6. sdp3501

sdp3501 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Shawn
    i must have the most sensitive m/b on earth!! after removing all the sticks and reinstalling, i realized that although they may have locked into place and the clips snapped down they still werent in right!! geez!! very loose istallation but they work..thank you!! do you have any info on the advanced memory controller message along with the one following it?

7. jbcalg

jbcalg

so you got 256 now...welcome to the club
    the first 128 is the most important, the second adds stability to your system especially when using resource hog programs

the other device messages:

i looked around, but they could have various causes

use google for searching with the driver names, i found a bunch of links but you'd have a better idea of what your system has that may be mentioned

8. sdp3501

sdp3501 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Shawn
    everyone "in the know" suggests google to find very specific things. how in the world can i use it to find out what my error message on the first prob means.....and i think the second could just be left over crap. what kind of specific info should i offer? your reply and opinion?

9. jbcalg

jbcalg

i'm not in the know - usually in the dark till i start looking for some info

i use google to narrow the field - and it works a lot better than the MS knowledge base search
    - and you're the one that knows your system - better than any of us here

in google i just put in vpowerd.vxd to see what would come up,
    then i put HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\enum\ROOT\*PNP0C05\0000
    - both from the info you had

then i just see what the hits show
    vpowerd.vxd refers to something with the power management settings - you know what settings you have, or can look at them, do you have the shut off after so many minutes, go into sleep mode options set etc?
    - do these things work?
    have you tried reinstalling the drivers etc

is that file even there in your directory? - one of the google items deals with missing files from set up

if i use the registry setting as a search guide, i get 3 or 4 specific articles that talk about the suspend function

2+2 gives me - check my settings if my suspend function is disabled but i have the option checked off in power management - then i have a conflict

so i guess i figure it's a little easier for you (and others) to search for some of these things, you have the system right there and can exclude what doesn't apply, or focus in more on the more likely culprits, without a lot of posts going back and forth

and it's really just looking at the error message and picking a couple words - go from there
    - then it's trial and error, common sense, etc

10. sdp3501

sdp3501 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Shawn
    thank you...and on to the world of google!!! hahaha!!!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60458

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice