1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RAM upgrade now a black screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Theggbert, Feb 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Theggbert

Theggbert Thread Starter

HP Pavilion dv5000 AMD 3100 789 Mhz

Upgraded Ram from 512 MB (2- 256 sticks) to 2GB (2-1GB sticks) now all I get are the leds (buttons) that come on and the fan that runs for ~3 sec and a black screen. I put one of the old 256 MB sticks back in with a 1 GB and it works fine. I have swapped both 1GB sticks in and out and between slots and each works as long as they are not installed together. I have re-seated the sticks numerous times but cannot get 2 GB to work, which is the maximum RAM that the machine will support. The 1 GB sticks are both Kingston, same speed bought from the same vendor at the same time. Stumped!

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    There are numerous HP Pavilion dv5000 series laptops, so we need to confirm which model number you have.

What's the part/product number(P/N) on yours?

---------------------------------------------------------

The dv5000 series also use DDR or DDR2 memory modules, depending on which model number you have.

However, they all appear to support up to 2 GB of RAM.

---------------------------------------------------------

3. Theggbert

Theggbert Thread Starter

S/n cnd6300sk4

p/p es186av

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
  5. Theggbert

Theggbert Thread Starter

Ok yes I could just buy new memory I get that. I am just looking for a better way to test and make sure the memory is bad and not something else going on before I decide to buy more memory. Don't really want to spend much more money on a 9 year old computer my wife uses for light web browsing. I just can't understand why it works individually and with the old 256 MB sticks but not together. :)

memory.jpg

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The specs for the Kingston 1 GB module in your screenshot are the same as the specs for the Crucial 1 GB module that I linked you to, so I don't know why it's not working as a matching pair of 1 GB modules. :confused:

----------------------------------------------------------

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143880

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice