1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RAM upgrade question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Noyb, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jay
    According to my Mobo specs … My Mobo will support up to 4 gig of DDR2 800MHz RAM.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...26&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3254052&lang=en

According to my SIW report .. I currently have 2GB of (333MHz :confused: ) Ram installed ..
    (2 of .... )
    Capacity 1024 MBytes
    Memory Type DDR2 SDRAM
    Speed DDR2-666 (333 MHz)
    Data Width 64 bits
    Voltage SSTL 1.8V
    Error Correction None
    Refresh Reduced (.5x)...7.8 µs
    Manufacturing Date 2006, Week 39
    Module Height 30.0 mm
    EPP SPD Support No

I’m thinking about upgrading to 3GB of 800MHz RAM.
    Am I reading this right .. (comments) ??
    Can you verify my conclusions … and suggest some good (reasonably priced) Newegg RAM Modules ???

2. CCjon

CCjon

Firstly don't worry bout the speed of the RAM as it is running at twice that speed(hence DDR-2).As for the upgrading part,do you mean that you want to buy 3GB of new 800mhz RAM to replace your current ones or buy a gig of 800mhz RAM and slotting it in with your current ones?If so any branded ones(kingston)is good enough.I don't recommend you doing so in both cases though.Buying 3GB of new RAM will give you only a small improvement in most applications and slotting a new 800mhz RAM stick will cause all your RAM to run at the speed of the slowest ones(In your case,666mhz).

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

If you install three 1GB sticks of RAM it won't run in dual channel mode, so three sticks may not be as good as two running in dual channel mode. Or install four sticks running dual channel mode, but only 3GB would be accessible with a 32-bit OS.

4. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    I was thinking 3 new 1 gig 800MHz sticks .. and wondering what the improvement would be.

Thanks for the speed info ...
    I ordered 667MHz ram with this computer, and was wondering about the 333MHz listing.

I'm thinking there are apps where an extra gig or 2 might help me ...
    and might as well up the speed at the same time.
    With two monitors .. I do get carried away with running a lot of apps at the same time.

5. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    That explains one of my questions, that I didn't mention ...
    I might be convinced to go to 4 gig.
    Which is better ... (2) 2gig sticks ... or (4) 1 gig sticks ?

6. CCjon

CCjon

It's the same.The only benefit is that you get two RAM slots free but not in your case as your MB doesn't support so much memory.

As for the extra RAM thing,the only softwares I know of that uses that much RAM are video-editing SW and professional sound editing SW.Besides that,I still think it's a waste to use more than 2GB of memory in a computer,unless you're talking about a DDR to DDR2 upgrade.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/651279

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice