1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ram upgrade

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by m8hee, Apr 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. m8hee

m8hee Thread Starter

Hi,
    My name is John and this is my first time on a forum. I hope you can help. My first problem is that when I tried to increase my RAM from 128MB to 256MB my PC only recognizes 192MB. Both modules are the same. I have a micro atxbx10 Mainboard, and the manual says that the Max RAM is 256MB (8m*8). I am running Windows ME, with a P3 processor and a 6G Hard drive.
    The other small problem I get is when I select shutdown I get an error message "Explorer has caused an error in unknown, Explorer will now close" after I select close the machine starts to reboot and then closes as normal. I have run scandisc, avg6, adaware, defrag, spybot and cleanup to no avail. Any suggestions?

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

it's likey that you're trying to install a RAM chip incompatible with the system or that is not working correct with the other RAM chip or, the RAM chip you're installing (or the one already installed) is a 64 Mb chip not a 128.

3. m8hee

m8hee Thread Starter

Thanks Styxx, I am positive that both chips are 128 but what I am not sure about is if they are both compatible. I am going to try putting one chip in at a time to see what each one reads. I will let you know what happens.

4. m8hee

m8hee Thread Starter

Hi, just thought I would let you know how I solved the problem. I tried another couple of 128 chips by different manufacturers but they were incompatible, I was going to buy guarenteed chips from crucial but instead I bought a new motherboard with a 2.4 processor, 80G HDD 512MB RAM and a new graphics card. Installed it and it works a treat. All that for £250.

Thanks again Styxx for your help.

5. Dingenium

Dingenium

Just curious, who was the manufactuer of the original computer? Compaq? Or, was it something that someone built for you...?

6. m8hee

m8hee Thread Starter

The manufacturer was Advent and it was a 3031 model.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218382

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice