RAM upgrade

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bsayler

I'm looking to add more DIMM memory to my PC. I have 2 slots in there for memory cards, one has the original card with 64MB and I added another 128 for a total of 192MB. My question might sound dumb but can I buy a bigger memory card and just pull out the 64MB and pop in more memory, or is it more complicated? It was simple adding the 128, just popped it in and was good to go. I have a AMD athlon 600hz processor which is rather outdated and slow, but I think I need more memory to handle all of the digital photo editing I do. Or maybe a better video card? I have a 3dfx Voodoo3 with 8 MB ram now. Would it be okay to just upgrade the video card and stay with the 192mb memory? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

bsayler said:
I'm looking to add more DIMM memory to my PC. I have 2 slots in there for memory cards, one has the original card with 64MB and I added another 128 for a total of 192MB. My question might sound dumb but can I buy a bigger memory card and just pull out the 64MB and pop in more memory, or is it more complicated? It was simple adding the 128, just popped it in and was good to go. I have a AMD athlon 600hz processor which is rather outdated and slow, but I think I need more memory to handle all of the digital photo editing I do. Or maybe a better video card? I have a 3dfx Voodoo3 with 8 MB ram now. Would it be okay to just upgrade the video card and stay with the 192mb memory? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!
OMG that is old, you can run two sticks of 128 just make sure you get the right type, i assume you already know that. Run Everest Home so we can know what type of graphics slot you have probably agp but what version? You can probably get a better gfx card with more memory, faster, etc. I would do both for photo editing, of course I'd build a new one too, so.

bsayler

Okay, I got the Everest. Under PCI devices, AGP properties, it shows AGP version 1.00 and AGP status enabled. It also describes my video card as such:
3Dfx Voodoo3 1000 AGP SGRAM Video Adapter.
So i'm assuming that if I go in search of a better video card, i would look for the AGP type right?
I don't do any computer gaming, just photos and sometimes with my photo editor the pics load much slower than i would like, even the smaller files. Is this just not enough system RAM, processor limited, or what? I will probably put in more memory first and see if that helps. Thanks for the info!

bsayler said:
Okay, I got the Everest. Under PCI devices, AGP properties, it shows AGP version 1.00 and AGP status enabled. It also describes my video card as such:
3Dfx Voodoo3 1000 AGP SGRAM Video Adapter.
So i'm assuming that if I go in search of a better video card, i would look for the AGP type right?
I don't do any computer gaming, just photos and sometimes with my photo editor the pics load much slower than i would like, even the smaller files. Is this just not enough system RAM, processor limited, or what? I will probably put in more memory first and see if that helps. Thanks for the info!
AGP1 wow that takes me back, ok i believe if you can find one that would be nice, but yeah definately get more ram if you are going to keep that pc. what country are you in? USA or where

If your going to get a new graphics card, don't get a very new one because it won't be able to perform how it would. The processor will choke it and you won't get nearly as much performance out of it. Plus the AGP 1.0 isn't very fast.

Look into a Radeon 9000, don't get a 9200 SE they suck. 9000 is faster.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online