RAM upgrade

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

killspyware

hey guys,

i am buying some new RAM to install into my desktop and i just needed some advice on which kind of RAM i should use and which brands/companies could be trusted.

i have a HP Pavilion XL768, with the following specs for the motherboard:

--------[ Motherboard ]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard Name Asus K7M

Front Side Bus Properties:
Bus Type DEC Alpha EV6
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 101 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 201 MHz
Bandwidth 1611 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties:
Bus Type SDR SDRAM
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 101 MHz
Effective Clock 101 MHz
Bandwidth 805 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties:
Bus Type PCI
Bus Width 32-bit
Real Clock 34 MHz
Effective Clock 34 MHz
Bandwidth 134 MB/s

Motherboard Physical Info:
CPU Sockets/Slots 1
Expansion Slots 1 ISA, 5 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 AMR
RAM Slots 3 DIMM
Form Factor ATX
Motherboard Size 210 mm x 300 mm
Motherboard Chipset AMD750
Extra Features JumperFree

one thing that confused me was that under Memory Bus Properties it said it had SDR SDRAM but under the Motherboard Physical Info it said that the RAM slots support DIMM... :confused:

thanx in advance for answering my question! :D

DIMM = Dual Inline Memory Module, and it is of the SDRAM type.
DIMM is just a generic descriptor of form factor, for instance laptops tend to use a form factor of SODIMM

But SDRAM comes in many flavours (speeds and configurations), you need to get the right one for the computer. HP PCs can be fussy.

Download the motherboard manual from here, it should help.
http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/slota/k7m/k7m-104.pdf

killspyware

thanx for the quick reply kiwiguy

in the manual it says that "when this motherboard operates at 100mhz, pc100-compliant modules must be used because of the strict timing issues involved under this speed"... does that mean that i can't use pc133 modules? because one of my more computer-savvy friends told me that i could use pc133 since pc100 memories are more rare to find and expensive

You will only know by trying it out.
It could vary between manufacturer of the RAM.

You need to make sure that you use the correct type as to single sided or double sided RAM as well usually.

As I said, HP PCs can be picky. Thats from experience by the way, not just a bland statement.

Simple answer can be to drop it into a computer store and ask them to upgrade it, then if they get the wrong sort in it, you don't wear the cost.

bassetman

Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten
kiwiguy said:
You will only know by trying it out.
It could vary between manufacturer of the RAM.

You need to make sure that you use the correct type as to single sided or double sided RAM as well usually.

As I said, HP PCs can be picky. Thats from experience by the way, not just a bland statement.

Simple answer can be to drop it into a computer store and ask them to upgrade it, then if they get the wrong sort in it, you don't wear the cost.
I see we are seperated by a common langueage! :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online