1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ram upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bammyjastard, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bammyjastard

bammyjastard Thread Starter

Hi guys I'm very green when it comes to computers, and looks like I've ballsed up my attempt to upgrade the RAM in my notebook. (e-system 1201)
    It currently has 1 ddr2 667 stick (1gb) in place and I thought there was another slot directly beneath, so ordered another 1gb stick off the bay.
    When I came to install it, I could only see 1 slot. Have I chucked my money away?
    yet when I ran the belarc advisor, the memory results were:

894 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM1' has 1024 MB
    Slot 'DIMM2' is Empty

How can I find "slot 2" ? so I can put the new stick in?
    cheers
    Chris

2. How'dIdoThat

How'dIdoThat

First Name:
    RWF
    Can you give us the make and model number of the pc ?

3. bammyjastard

Cheers for the prompt reply. Yeah I tried the crucial scanner, and that also said I still had an available slot, but I can't see it.
    The following is a list of what our scan was able to detect:

System Manufacturer: DIXONSXP
    System Model: DIXONSXP
    Motherboard Manufacturer: DIXONSXP
    Motherboard Model: N/A

[​IMG] Your Computer Specifications

1024 MB

EMPTY

• Maximum Memory Capacity: 12582912 MB
    • Currently Installed Memory: 1024 MB
    • Available Memory Slots: 1
    • Total Memory Slots: 2
    • Dual Channel Support: N.A.
    • CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
    • CPU Family: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2370 @ 1.73GHz Model 15, Stepping 13
    • CPU Speed: 1733 MHz

4. How'dIdoThat

How'dIdoThat

First Name:
    RWF
    The slots are usually so close together that you can't miss them. I'm not at all familiar with a Dixons pc but if you could provide a model number I may be able to find a schematic to help locate the slot.

5. bammyjastard

it's a "e-system 1201" notebook.
    I think the model number is U40SI1
    Cheers

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The Crucial scan information doesn't make sense. The maximum amount of memory can't be "12582912MB". That's an astronomical number. Run the scan again and perhaps post a screen shot instead of text or double check your typing.

7. bammyjastard

@doublehelix......none of it makes sense to me at all m8, although I am trying to learn lol.
    As for the crucial scan I just copied and pasted the info

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Copying and pasting text from a website is unreliable. Scan again and either type the information or post a screen shot.

9. bammyjastard

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Well, the big blue print at the top says it all:

"Our System Scanner couldn't make a complete match, but we can still help you find the right memory upgrade."

Crucial can't accurately detect the computer. That means we really don't know how much memory it can handle or how many slots it has. I've never heard of "e-systems" and can't find a manufacturer website.

Memory slots are not always right next to each other. Sometimes one of them is not user accessible and the other is in a completely different part of the laptop.

11. bammyjastard

Believe me, I've been searching for the manufacturer website etc., I thinks its made by "DIXSONSSP" for PC world. Well cheers anyway, I suppose if I've learned anything, it's to check out this forum before I throw money away in future

12. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    There may indeed be a second Ram Socket, but on some notebooks this is located under the keyboard and not accessable with out disassembly, as on some of the Dell Inspirons.

13. raybro

raybro

Give this a look. On at least one (the most recent) laptop I've had occasion to look at the RAM, there were two slots, but the second slot was under the first slot. The RAM stick had to be tilted up at about a 45° angle in order to remove it and the second slot tilted up with the first one and was not visible until the stick in slot 1 was removed. Hope this helps.

Raybro

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916192

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice