RAM voltage questions!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mosquito555

Hi people, I'm planning to buy a good 2GB Dual DDR2 kit. I'm currently looking at OCZ's gold series (propably at 667Mhz). The factory voltage for this kit is 1.9 volts, however my mobo (MSI P965 Neo-F) supports 1.8 volts as default. My question is:

-Should I buy the RAM after all or I will encounter compatibility issues?
-If I set RAM voltage at 1.8 will the RAM have problems or provide less performance?
-Will it be safe for the mobo if I set the voltage at 1.9v? I know my mobo is not the overclocker's choice but it is not crap after all!
-Shall I leave the RAM at 667Mhz or I have to drop it to 533Mhz to match my Core 2 Duo's FSB and avoid bottlenecks?

Thanks in advance!

crjdriver

First of all is that ram on the approved or tested list for your board? If not, I would not buy it.

Next raising the vdimm from 1.8 to 1.9 will not hurt the board.

Run the ram at its rated speed.

Mosquito555

crjdriver said:
First of all is that ram on the approved or tested list for your board? If not, I would not buy it.

Next raising the vdimm from 1.8 to 1.9 will not hurt the board.

Run the ram at its rated speed.

Thanks for the reply Crjdriver...

Well the problem is that I cannot find sufficient information about compatibility neither from MSI or OCZ websites. MSI provides a list of compatible RAM manufacturers (OCZ is in the list), however it says nothing about specific RAM modules. OCZ on the other hand lists just a few MSI mobos that are too old (P865 or 875 chipsets for example).

If you have any more info about compatible RAM for my board please post:eek:

crjdriver

I would really buy ram that has been tested however if you want to use it, just set the vdimm to the correct value. Now run memtest for at least a few hrs. If there are no errors, it should be ok.

Remember if a ram chip is NOT on the list, it does not mean it will not work. It means it was not tested and found to work.

In other words YOYO [you're on your own]

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.