1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RAM vs Video card, what to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by demonkingjj, Dec 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. demonkingjj

demonkingjj Thread Starter

Ok, here we go. So I recently got into PC gaming and wow it's slow. Now I'm not looking for perfect graphics, set on the highest options etc, but I do want good graphics without lag on such games as Oblivion, Pro street, Kane and lynch, Call of duty 4, etc.

So. My problem is I don't know what to upgrade. I was thinking between RAM and video card because those seem to be my 2 worst(unfortunately) but maybe there's something else I need to upgrade that's more important. So that's what i need help with. Here's my specs:

Hard drive: 235gigs space. Used space - 149gigs, free space - 83gigs
    Processor: Intel pentium 4 3.06Ghz
    RAM: 512mb
    Video card: Tul corporation(It's supposed to be ATI or something, but shows as Tul on device manager and other programs) Radeon X300SE
    Also, it shows that one and X300SE secondary, so I think I might have 2? Not sure though.
    Audio card: Realtek High defenition audio card
    DVD drive: Philips SPD2413P 16x

So, what would be the best to upgrade? I'm thinking RAM to 1gb for like $12 on Ebay:)D) but what do you all think?

Thanks and happy holidays :)

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The video card is next to useless for gaming. You definitely need to upgrade that. It shows up as two because it supports dual monitors. The RAM should be at least doubled to 1GB or more as well.

Do you have a budget in mind?

Also open up the PC and see what the brand, model, wattage, and the amperage on the 12 volt rail is on the power supply. You may need to upgrade the power supply as well to support a higher end video card. The video card to run those games smoothly is going to run you around $150 to 250 alone.

3. demonkingjj

demonkingjj Thread Starter

Ouch. And to think, MDG said that that graphics card was like the best 2 years ago. >.>

Well I guess I'm sticking to lag then, cuz I don't have a $300 budget.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Its never been the best, its always been a budget graphics card. MDG sells crap, their support is crap too.

You can go cheaper if wish, how much can you spend?

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

6. gomes

gomes

lol when you play such a high demanding game such as cod4, you're going to need A LOT of money to upgrade. you definately need to upgrade your ram and your gpu. i'm pretty sure cod4 is dx10. you should definately get 2 gb worth of ram, and at least a gpu with like 256/512mb of memory on it that's dx10 capable.

if you spend like 300-350$, i think you'll be fine.

oh and make sure nothing will overheat and you have a powerful psu to run the video card and all the other components in the computer.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/664701

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice