1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ram woes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DannMann99, Jan 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DannMann99

DannMann99 Thread Starter

I have 512mb SDRAM. and my computer still runs slow. why? i couldnt tell you.
    i heard DDRram was faster.

Will ddrram fit in sd slots?

will ddrram work with my motherboard... (which boards does it work with, i forget what mine is, i think its a socket a.)

will ddrram actually be faster?

can i ddrram putinto a slot and have sdram put into one next to it?

and...
    is there anything faster then ddr?

Also.. as a sidenote
    how can i improve my computers speed?

running~
    Windows XP
    1ghz Processor
    64mb Vid Card
    512mb sdram

Dann Out~

2. spaceman_333

spaceman_333

Hi DannMann.

What kind of ISP connection do you use? Dialup, DSL, Cable?

Spaceman

3. mtbird

mtbird

DannMann.....
    Without knowing what motherboard you have, we can't advise you on the ram. Some of the newer ones will accommodate both sdram and ddr. Not a mixture of the two...either one or the other.
    Go here......

http://belarc.com/free_download.html

and download the Belarc Advisor program. It will create a text file that will give you your hardware information. Post back with the results.

Besides looking at the memory as a problem, have you checked to see if the problem lies with excessive background programs running or spyware ?
    Since you are using Win XP, there are many services that run that can be shut down or run only when needed. These sites will give you a look at what is involved......

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm

http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

Debe

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'll first say that I doubt you'll see any significant change by changing the RAM, even if it were compatible. You need to address the real reason the machine runs slowly, not change parts randomly.

5. Jtoast

Jtoast

define slow.

Are you talking about low frame rates in video games, slow to open/close basic windows folders, slow internet connection, or all of the above?

Need a little more info and yes, johnwill is correct. Until you find out why its slow, memory won't fix it.

6. DannMann99

yea its slow everyhting, framerates in games, if i have kazaa opened EVERYTHING runs real slow.
    I have cable
    connection and even that runs slow.

7. Jtoast

Jtoast

ram is probably not your problem.

while its running slow open your task manager (ctl-alt-del) and click on processes.

under the cpu column is a how much of your cpu each running process is using. look and see whats eating all your cpu cycles. ignore system idle.

8. DannMann99

Sorry for the delay. Yea nothing really eats up to much of my computer while i just have IE up and running.

Right now i have AIM, up MIRC, and 3IE windows and no more then 10% of my CPU is being used.

The thing im worried about though is that, if i open up kazaa and let it idle there. It takes up 95-99% of my CPU.
    And the same if i open up the PC game Everquest.

Both dont need to be open, they both on their own lag my computer to ruins.

I just dont know how well it is for kazaa to use 99% of my cpu. and so ram isnt an issue? Are there any issues with ram in winXP, like not recognizing a certain amount. Cause i was thinking about plugging in another 256 chip, and taking out a 128, giving me 640mb Ram.

Plz help out

Running-
    Win Xp Pro
    SBLIVE PC16 sound card
    64MB GeForce4 card
    1ghz Athlon processor
    512mb SDRAM
    10/100 Ethernetcard
    Cable internet access
    --------------------------------------------

Dann Out~

9. carltasha

carltasha

A badly fragmented hdd will do that . have you run virus scans and malwhare scans ?

10. DannMann99

Yea ihavent defragged it in about 2months. i doubt defragging is causing all of my problems. and i have a virus scanner, but norton 2k sucks alot. I had to manualy delete this file that would multiply to take up HDD space.
    Ill do those 2 things though. but whats a malware scan?

11. DannMann99

wow. Just to answer a problem about kazaa eating all my cpu power.

somehow it got set to "use all bandwidth" mode. i didnt even know they had something like that. I knew it should use 99% of my processor. Damn those kazaa creators. Maybe a new virus or something? switches it without you knowing. I know it baffeled me for quite some time

Dann Out~

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111809

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice