1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ram Works fine in single sticks, not working fine together :P

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by h8erman, Dec 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. h8erman

h8erman Thread Starter

Hey,

I've been doing some online gaming (world of warcraft), and I kept getting these Error#131 issues. This would cause the game files to become corrupted and then I would have to repair, or reinstall. The WoW tech site says that chronic error #131 messages are either a Hard drive, Ram, or Motherboard issue.

Running the Windows Vista memory diagnostic tool has turned up some odd results, the initial test with a 1gb stick in slot #1 and a 1gb stick in slot #2 came back with errors. I then removed the ram from slot 2 and ran the test on slot 1 with 1 stick of ram.... no errors. I did the same with the other stick in slot 1.....no errors. this lead me to believe that it was slot#2 giving me the issue so I moved the ram from slot 2 to slot 3, thus having 1gb of ram in slot 1 and 1gb of ram in slot 3. After a little while......error#131 appeared.

So I then tested both sticks in slots 1 and 3 together and came back with ram errors, I then tested both sticks in slot #1, and then again in slot #2 and both tests came back fine. Any ideas on what this issue could be? I know both sticks are the same brand, speed, totally identical.

2. bigbear

bigbear

Did you check that the ram is fully compatible with your motherboard?
    Check the QVL for your mobo at the makers website
    Also modern ram requires more power than the motherboard default, usually about 1.8v.
    Check to see what volts your ram requires, this can be adjusted in bios

3. h8erman

h8erman Thread Starter

hmmm, the RAM is stock, came with the PC when i bought it about 6 months ago, and worked just fine until recently. I have no idea how to do any of the things you told me to do. :p I guess i'm just a beginner nerd. :(

4. bigbear

bigbear

How did you test the ram?

5. h8erman

h8erman Thread Starter

using vista memory diagnostics tool.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Is this pc a local build or brand name, tell us your hardware because it sounds like the ram is not compatible in your pc though each stick may work by itself. This happens when they are not bought at the same time and are not the same model and batch and is happening more and more with newer technology boards.
    I would replace all of it ram is cheap enough these days and do so with a site that has a configurator where you can get an exact match such as www.crucial.com (or kingston or corsair) and remember you dopn't have to buy there, just get the model # and probably buy at www.newegg.com

7. h8erman

h8erman Thread Starter

I bought an acer aspire. :p I'm guessing that's the issue right there, I didn't like the salesman, but bought it anyways. thanks for the help, i'll check the links you gave me and take it from there. :)

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

That says it all please come back and let us know how it all came out!

9. h8erman

h8erman Thread Starter

Just to update on this issue....

I replaced the RAM, and everything seems fine now. I also upgraded the power supply from 250watts to 450watts and added an extra fan. hopefully everything stays fine. :0 thanks for all your help.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/663906

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice