1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ram

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dred, Jan 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dred

dred Thread Starter

i just popped in a 256 stick. I already had 128 in here. my computer only reads 256 now. flash the bios?? i havent updated it in like 3 years.

2. JJJecj71

JJJecj71

Try putting the 128 where the 256 is and the 256 in the 128 slot.

Your Bus system might only be able to read 256. Depends how old your system is and the processor/mother board.

Try that to see if that will work?

also Is the 256 a Pc 100 or Pc 133?

3. dred

dred Thread Starter

itsa a pc 133 diamond mother board bought in 99 or 2000 has 3 memory slots 2 old 64 sticks and the new 256. i am going to go check out diamonds site and check for a rom flash update. cant hurt. i am just too lazy to take the screws out of the back!

4. JJJecj71

JJJecj71

Ok LOL

But I would just keep the 256 That seems very old and the mother board just might not be able to handle it.

This is why I buy bare Bones and build my own computers, just the way I like :)

Good luck Dred I hope you can do it, I would be just to lazy my self and just go and upgrade the whole system.

5. dred

dred Thread Starter

heres one more thing. ( by the way i am A+ certified and went to school for all this(( too bad i havent done anything with it since 99) I dont think i like windows XP its a little too user friendly. it seems i am almost at the same level as someone who knows very little about computers. i know i have a diamond micronics motherboard. i cant for the life of me in the bios or in the device manager find out what version it is. if you happen to know how i can check what board i have let me know. this computer was great when i built it. its really pissing me off lately. this stuff used to be alot easier to fix

6. dred

dred Thread Starter

mother board, CPU whats the best cheapest way out right now. I cant afford my beer habit right now let alone computer stuff. but i cant deal anymore. I got the pentium 3 450mhz the day it came out. my burner is like a 4xs speed i think it only works in 2xs speed now. i need some go fast. whats a good site to buy hardware online?? what should i do about a board and cpu. You were right i need to build!

7. JJJecj71

JJJecj71

8. JJJecj71

JJJecj71

I give you a link to give you an idea, I can built a good system just under 400 to 300 Us dollars.

I'll Pm you with that link.

9. JJJecj71

JJJecj71

Goto start /// Program Files /// Accessories
    and to System tools then to System info

10. dred

dred Thread Starter

i have a micronics c400 i just looked around it should handle like 780 something mbs of memory. i am looking to find a recent bios flash out there or something. its only reading the 256. if its not the BIOS then somethings messed.

11. JJJecj71

JJJecj71

Sounds like it's reading the old and just alittle of new or canceling out the old and reading the new for some reason or reading the 256 which is false and still using the old ram.
    Wierd yeah :) it's possible.

Seeing your system is older.

Try finding a PC-100 memery chip ok. You might not need to do a BIO's flash. Your causing more headackes :D If it can read that much. Then trying a PC-100 SDRAM chip sould do it for you because of the Bus system is only able to read PC-100 chips.

Nite
    Jay

12. Chum

Chum

Is the new 256 stick single or double sided(chips on 1 side or both)...some older boards will only accept(read correctly) double sided...had the same problem with my 256 stick from Kingston...they replaced it for free with double-sided.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113294

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice