1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ram

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by catluver58, Sep 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. catluver58

catluver58 Thread Starter

I am new here but I have a problem which really baffles me. I am not a puter guru by any means so any explaination would have to be simple for me to understand. I had a computer put together for me by a friends son. I have been regretting it ever since. When you click My Computer and get properties it says I have 120 mg of Ram but when the computer boots it shows only 16 mg of Ram. I can not work or play on this computer for more than 15 to 30 min (depending on what I am doing) and then I run out of resources and have to reboot. I am sure the Ram is there but the computer doesn't seem to know it. Help please, my frustration level is getting very high.

Thanks,

2. brianF

brianF

Post a description of the machine, as much as you can
    processor
    motherboard
    installed memory
    operating system

Do you have a shared memory video card, in other words, onboard video card

3. catluver58

Well I am not sure what is relevant or not. I will put down somethings I did find and you can see if it helps or ask more specific questions.

When I click on My Computer, properties, the first page says:
    Authentic AMD
    AMD Athlon (tm) XP
    128.0 MB Ram

When I click on the device tab, on the list is some of the following:
    Disk drives:
    Generic IDE Disk Type 47
    Display Adaptors
    NVIDIA Vanta/Vanta LT
    Hard Disk Controllers:
    -Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    -Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo0
    -Storage Adapter Bridge Module (TPP)
    -VIA Bus Master PCI IDE controller

None of this makes any sense to me. The book he gave me to go with the puter is 1st Mainboard ADll User's Manual which is way beyond my comprehension. Also I know the hard drive install disk says SIS on it.

I am am self taught, but can navigate pretty well when told what to do. I am not sure if this is any help at all. Thanks for taking the time to write back

4. brindle

brindle

catluver58
    Here is a free program that will tell you anything and everything about your computer. Check it out, for whats it's worth I highly recommend it.
    If you try it please let me know what you think.

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Where are you seeing 16 megs of ram? Are you sure that isn't for video per chance? It would be unusual not to count up correctly and report via Windows that it was there.

Also, I'd be curious to see your startup items. Start button, run, then type msinfo32 and hit ok...go to software, startups, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste.

6. catluver58

First of all I should tell you that we have purchased another computer that I am currently using to post. The other computer I am asking about is not connected to the internet, and another problem is that the floppy disk drive won't work to copy from one to the other.

When I first boot where it says 16MB Ram is the fourth line and it is right under where it says Copywrite.......Etc. I moves to fast to really read all that it says.

Any way I copied what it said under my start up menu and was amazed at all that was there....and Iam sure I need to dump most of it. Not sure how to do that though.

Here is the list:
    PowerReg Scheduler.exe
    Webshots
    PalNetaware
    MSMGS
    Yahoo!Pager
    Scan Registery
    Task Monitor
    System Tray
    Load Power Profile
    Sis Tray
    Sis KHooker
    $Enternet
    AVG_CC
    TRbell.Exe
    Load QM
    PromulGate
    DAupdate
    Trickler
    Connect2Party
    HPDJ Taskbar Utility
    QuickTime Task
    Time Sink Ad Client
    Xupiter Toolbar Loader
    WhenUSave
    TPP Auto Loader
    InCD
    Pwmflvet
    TVMD
    Critical Update
    Msbb
    Load Power Profile
    Scheduling Agent
    AvgServ9.exe

I know that the SIS stuff is something to do with my hard drive and the InCD is for the external CD burner still installed on the machine. Since I am no longer connected to the net I know most of this is nonsense.
    I can only imagine where some of this stuff came from. We had 3 adults and a teenager using this machine. WOW (makes me wonder what I have on this new machine)

Thanks for listening to my really BIG Mess.

7. ~Candy~

Start button, run, type msconfig and ok......go to startup tab and uncheck that crap.

We also have to get rid of Xjupiter. I think that may need to be uninstalled or dealt with in another way. Can you access the internet any way on it?

Also do you have an external hard drive attached?

If not, dump this too:

TPP Auto Loader

Actually with only 128 megs of ram, I'm surprised you can run for that long ;)

8. brindle

brindle

I'll just address the start-up list.
    I always tell folks all they need checked in msconfig\start-up is systemTray, scanregistry,your firewall and your anti-virus program. All the rest is a personal choice. Also under the general tab uncheck autoexec.bat and config.sys

9. ~Candy~

SiS KHooker khooker.exe SiS Keyboard Daemon. System Tray utility which gets installed by the drivers of the latter day SiS VGA cards. Can cause errors at startup and isn't required.

zap that one too :)

And oh, oh, looks like we may have a virus here........can you verify this one?
    sistray sistray.exe Added as a result of the PROVA VIRUS! Note - this resides in C:\Windows\Command

10. catluver58

Ok, to make sure i understood all that. I am to zap Sis KHooker.exe, Sis Keyboard Daemon and sytem tray.

A virus.....????
    I will look to see if it is in windows/command....what do i do if it is there?????

11. ~Candy~

Let us know ;)

Zap the Khooker.exe as you don't need it loading, and check to see where the other one is loading from......

BTW, I'm a cat luver too :D

EDIT: and to be clear, we aren't talking about this one:

System Tray --- that stays....

12. catluver58

ok, I zapped Sis KHooker. then I looked to see where sistray was located. Everything in my list has a location next to it but there was no location next to sistray.

I left the system tray right where it was...I understand why I need that one:D

if it is a virus...why didn't my AVG catch it?????

Also the husband asked if we take the restore disk we got with the new puter...Windows XP and put it in that machine can we reformat and just start over?????

Not sure I want to do that just yet as some thing on there I am not sure I want to part with and the floppy doesn't work...

13. ~Candy~

Sure you can do that if there is nothing you wish to save, but I'm sure with all that crap disabled you should be able to see a difference already. In the yahoo and msn messaging programs, you may have to go to them individually and go to options or preferences and stop those from loading when windows loads.

Over further in the list, does it say more than just sis tray?

14. catluver58

I maximised the window to be sure there was not another column of things that I was not seeing but there wasn't.

Everything on this list has a location but not the sis tray.
    the only things on this line is the box to check the words (sis tray) and the rest of the line is blank ...there is no location.

15. catluver58

I was just looking in my start menu- programs- there is
    Sis 305 V1.12a. When I click on it I have two options: Sis Utility Tray or Unistall

Is this the same thing?????

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166183

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice