1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ram

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kidpro89, Apr 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kidpro89

kidpro89 Thread Starter

Would it be possible to take ram from another computer and use it or i must use my own?

2. cassandra

cassandra

As long as it's the same type of RAM and you have an available slot for it on your motherboard, it makes no difference whether it was 'used' before.

3. kidpro89

kidpro89 Thread Starter

my motherboard has two slots of ram and they were both filled with 126mb of ram so i took one out and put a 256mb of ram from another computer since i thought one of my rams might have a problem. would that work?

4. Mr.Bungle

Mr.Bungle

it should work if your computer can handle it, but it sounds like your mobo is oldersince you have 126mb sticks of ram and only 2 slots. You can try, just make sure it is the same kind of ram that your mobo takes.

5. kidpro89

kidpro89 Thread Starter

yea i check the heads and it fits.

when i tried with only one of the ram, one of them just started beeping when i tried starting the computer while the other worked., Whats up with the beeping?

6. Mr.Bungle

Mr.Bungle

Is it just non stop beeping or does it beep like once or twice. It sounds like your computer cant handle over 256mb ram. You cant just put as much ram as you want onto a mobo, they have limits ;) When you took one out did you leave in the 256?

7. kidpro89

kidpro89 Thread Starter

no, it was a 128 mb ram.

using the 256mb ram from another computer and with that just in kinda screwed up my computer.

but with the 128mb ram, putting only one in. for one of them it worked but the other one just had continuous beeping.

8. Bman

Bman

My guess would be that the stick of ram that causes the 'beeping' is bad. If the beeping is coming from the computer, it is signaling an error code. If you know what company made your BIOS you may be able to go to their website and find a list of 'error codes'. HTH

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220178

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice