1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ram

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Timmytiptoes, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Timmytiptoes

Timmytiptoes Thread Starter

Hope I am posting in the appropriate forum!
    I am running Windows ME. When I bought my system it came with 128MB RAM, and I had it upgraded to 256......I have plenty of room on my CD drive, but according to my system properties I have 47 MB of RAM and 0 available. This makes no sense. I have searched some previous threads and tried the MSCONFIG and doing selective start up and turning off some of the running programs....but the only icons in the tray are
    MSN Messenger, a mouse icon (since I installed a new optical mouse), AVG, Volume, and PC Booster which is supposed to optimize my system.

I am hopeless at this type of thing....aside from taking it in for an overhaul...what can I do to reclaim some RAM??

2. rebelmusic

rebelmusic

restart your computer
    if you see a logo press Esc
    take note of a 6 or 7 digit number up the top left.
    If the first 3 digits are somewhere around the 256 mark then your fine

An this wouldnt be the first time Windows Me reported wrong settings. Its the buggiest operating system ever created.

3. funkdmonkey

funkdmonkey

Upgraded? Are you saying you added an additional 256mg of ram to your 128meg or did you take out the 128meg stick all together. You memory might be faulty, try reinserting the sticks. Also, if you have more than one stick are they the same type of memory?
    There is a certain program that tests your memory, ill try finding it. Im sure one of the other members knows it.

4. rebelmusic

rebelmusic

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What does your CD drive have to do with the amount of RAM installed?

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Download and install Belarc Advisor 6.1F from here. After you install it, run a scan with it. Once the scan is finished, it will display your computer's hardware and software in a browser window. Make note of how many RAM slots are installed and how much RAM is installed in each of them.

When you right-click on My Computer, then click Properties, how much RAM is showing in the General tab?

7. Timmytiptoes

Timmytiptoes Thread Starter

thanks for the ideas..I'll give them a try. as for the CD drive..that was just a typo... I meant C drive

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327957

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice