1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ram?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Stingray10, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stingray10

Stingray10 Thread Starter

I was at my friend's house today and he downloaded Belarc Advisor,he has a 256mb in slot one and a 256 in slot 3.I'm no ram expert but should the one in slot 3 be in slot 2?:eek:

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Not really. Many dual channel motherboards put the memory in non-adjacent sockets for maximum performance. Also, most systems will fine the memory in any socket and utilize it.

If the system is working fine and recognizing all the memory, what's the problem?

3. Stingray10

Stingray10 Thread Starter

It is recognized,just thought it should be in#2.It is DDR2 ram.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can check the MB manual, but that's not necessarily so. My machine here has a gigabyte module in slot 1 and slot 2, slots 2 and 4 are empty. To run the dual-channel configuration, that's the way it has to be.

5. happyrck

happyrck

you will have to read the motherboard manual...they are all different...to run in in dual channel is the best way...on a ASUS A8N-E motherboard if you only run 1 stick of memory it has to be in slot 3...found that out the hard way trying to troubleshoot a system that had a memory problem and to test 1 stick at a time I had to put it in slot 3...:confused: its in the manual...for dual channel on that board slots 1 & 3

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487003

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice