1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ram

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Seth13, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Seth13

Seth13 Thread Starter

I can mix ram speeds can't I? I thought I remember hearing that if I were to buy DDR2 400 and match it with DDR2 533 the ram would just downclock to 400 untill i upgraded later to another gig of DDR2 533. Is this correct? Will I have any compatability issues?

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Yes you are correct......are the Ram the same make?

3. Seth13

Seth13 Thread Starter

I don't think so. I'll just explain my whole scheme.

I don't have the money to build a completely new computer right now, so I'm going a little at a time. Waiting till college next semester to finish it off. Right now I have a Dell Demension 8400 with a P4 3.2Ghz and 1GB of DDR2 400 in it. It also has a stock 6800GS. My other computer that I build about a year and a half ago has an Athlon 64 [email protected] 2.2Ghz with 1GB of DDR 400 in it. It carries an X800Pro flashed to XT pipes and speed. I'm going to purchase an X1900XT or X1950XT, another Gb(DDR2 533) of ram, and a new quality PSU. Then I'm going to take the motherboard out of the Dell, put it in my case of my Custom Built, and use the Harddrive, CD/DVDRW/Drives, P4CPU, and older dell RAM, and put my old stuff in the dell case or another case I have laying around untill I have the money to buy a new Motherboard that will support a Core 2 Duo.

p.s. I know everyones going to complain that I should kick the dell mobo out the window, but its my only alternative because my Custom Built pc only has a AGP slot in it. And the dell would also be getting an upgrade because I would be going from a 17" LCD with my X800XT to a 15" where my dell is.

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Sounds OK..... When at all possible put the same makes of Ram together.....different makes can work together....mostly. It's just another way to eliminate any future problems.

5. Seth13

Seth13 Thread Starter

Okay, thanks.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537766

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice