1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ram

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bubba19, Jan 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bubba19

bubba19 Thread Starter

I had 32mb of ram in my computer and whenever i did a virus scan check with Norton Anti-Virus 2002 it took about 15 minutes to run a whole scan for my computer...I have now added 128mb of ram for a total of 160mb of RAM in my computer and the virus scan still takes roughly around 15 minutes...I have another computer with 128 and the scan only takes 3 minutes even though it has a much slower processor speed..any suggestions??
    thank you for your time and cooperation

2. JerryM

JerryM

Hi Bubba, a few things that you forgot and left off.

If you have a LOT of programs or Archives, data, photos, music, etc. on a HDD then it will take up a longer time to check all this info..

How much space is used compared to the other computer..
    How big is the Hard drive...

The other is what OS is being used on Both computers...

3. par3dud

par3dud

Absolutely, the number of files on the drive determines how long it takes to do a scan. You should check to see the difference in the # of files on both puters.

4. $teve

$teve

also,the amount of ram is not going to significantly speed up your virus scanning,its whats on........or not on your hard drive.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66449

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice