Rambus vs SDRAM Memory

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

maximaaa

Hello. Rambus is the new kid on the block when it comes to memory. What is the major advantage over the old veteran SDRAM and is it worth the extra $?

well it is hard to say what is better, it depends what you want to spend. I use RDRam and I really like it. It is very fast and I only have 128mb but I have never run out and the 128 has suited me fine. The only probably is that it is expensive (but less and less everyday). Quite some time ago when Rambus came out with RDRam meny people were unhappy that it required a second mortgage to stock your system with an adequate supply (at least $125 or so for 128mb)... but times have changed. The prices have come down significantly, but they are still more expensive than SDRam... although the last I saw was that you can get some 128mb non-ECC for about $30 or so. Fortunately now intel makes a mobo that will take the P4 and SDRam, so you have a choice between the two, so it depends if you want to spend the extra $$ for the RDRam. RDRam is I think 10x faster, so with prices the way they are now it may be worth it. I would suggest the RDRam, but that is just me.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online