1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ramdisk in XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by coderitr, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coderitr

coderitr Thread Starter

Remember pre WinME when you could define a RAM disk to cache web pages to? Well, MS removed real-mode support in ME so the ramdrive.sys driver was no longer supported. I just found a replacement for win2000/xp. If you search for ramdisk at download.microsoft.com it comes back with no results but it is there at

http://download.microsoft.com/download/win2000ddk/sample01/1/nt5/en-us/ramdisk.exe

That is a direct link to the file. I tried removing some of the specific page specifiers to get to the parent page and I got "you are not authorized ...." The download is a self-extracting executable. After extraction see the ramdisk.htm for install instructions. The configuration must be done in the registry directly. The key is at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Ramdisk\Parameters

You can specify the drive letter to use ( default is Z: ) as well as the size ( default is 1MB ). The size is specified in high order word of the hex value ( I used 0x00F00000 which should be 16MB but Windows reports the disk size at 14.9MB -- if anyone knows why I'd appreciate a reply. )

You have to reboot after the initial installation. If you set the Internet Explorer settings to use this drive as the cache location you have to reboot again after that at which point Windows moves all the files from C: to the ramdisk (whatever drive letter you specify in the registry). After this second reboot, my automatic logon to XP had been disabled but I just had to go into the control userpasswords2 and re-do it and it works just fine again.

2. Rude_Dog

Rude_Dog

I've been curious about using ramdisk for running a software development environment. When running the software, it's particularly slow, and is really disk intensive when it compiles.

After I install ramdisk, I thought there might be a way to get XP Home to keep an image of the ramdisk on the HDD. That way, when it boots, it reads the image and restores the ramdisk. And, when I shut it down, it saves the ramdisk image back to the HDD. So, when I run the program, I start it and run it from the ram disk.

I realize if the confuser crashes, I lose whatever is on the ramdisk, but at least when I restart, the image from the last good shut down is available for me to start over with.

I think I can figure out how to make it load ramdisk from a saved image when it starts, but how do I get xp to write the ramdisk contents back to the HDD during shutdown?

Thanks;)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173468

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice