1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ramdom checksum error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pronute, Feb 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pronute

pronute Thread Starter

This is a ongoing problem i have been seeing lately. first of all I build computrs for a hobby, then sell them to friends and famlys i use all reatail and OEMs for components, latly i have had 4 systems back for repair. heres what is buging me on the 4 systems i keep getting back all have the same problem the cmos is set to default, and as you well know this has to be set the same as when the os is first installed. well I asked the owners if they changed The cmos setting , and they just look at me like i have a third arm. so it must be a cheksum error right?, but the date and time is right, and the battery checks out. this is happening to 2 Shuttles , 1 fic , and 1 Soyo boards all these boards are less the 2 years old , and there are no bullitons on this problem . on the 2 shutle boards i put a password on them , this problem did't come back for 3 months, know 1 of them is back without the password, but the owner said he did not toch it

SO ANY BODY ELS HAVE THIS PROBLEM OR AM I NUTS?

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Hmm...

odd one since it's happening on different boards.

Do you use the same brand memory in all of them?
    Have you tried replacing the cmos batteries?

Is there any component that's the same in all of them?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

This comes from left field, but you may have a virus or Trojan that is in the standard mix of stuff you install on these systems. I've only seen a couple of checksum errors in many years of dealing with 100's of systems, so it's certainly not normal! :rolleyes:

4. pronute

pronute Thread Starter

yes 2 components are common, the memery and the psu
    memery is Micron 2 sticks of 256 MB PC2100
    PSU is 500W leadman Powmax LP-6100E
    however I do have these same componens in 11 other systems including three of my systems I am using,

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I was thinking more along the lines of software when I mentioned "components". :) I doubt a P/S has a virus. :D:D

6. pronute

pronute Thread Starter

I think they all have kaza or somthing, some sort of download app. wait a minute , let me check this out, maybe a...... be right back I need to do some research

thanks Johnwill

7. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

If they all have Kazaa, I hope they are all up to date on their Antivirus software definitions..

8. n2gun

n2gun

9. pronute

pronute Thread Starter

thank you n2gun
    that is a very usfull tool
    i think I'm going to install kazaa on my test platform and torture kazaa for a while to see if it screws anything up.

10. n2gun

n2gun

Just a thought. See if by some slim chance they all downloaded the same thing from Kazaa. Kazaa itself may not be the problem. if they want something like Kazaa I woul;d recommend kazaa Lite as it has a lot of the spyware removed.

Also you may want to download Spybot and AdAware and run them to what may have been downloaded. Will add the links below. The first one is AdAware with the newest Version (6).

The second one is Spybot. Get the updates after you install it. Click online, Search for updates(at the top) the click on the updates and dwonload. Will install them itself.

http://www.lavasoft.de/support/download/

http://spybot.eon.net.au/

With both programs double check what is being removed. This will help prevent any problems.

11. pronute

pronute Thread Starter

thaks n2gun very nice software

12. pronute

pronute Thread Starter

This problem has been solved. The 4 computers where all in the same nieborhood where there was a common friend who thought that setting the computer to optimized default would make it faster. Go figure! He wont be doing it anymore

Thank you every body for your suggestion, feedback, and links.

Bob

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118549

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice