Ramm ??? why no work??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

whitesummer

Ok here is the deal you have all probably read questions like this and I have searched for similar questions on this very nice website to find my answer but it is now two hours later and the old lady wants me to come to bed so I must ask why my new ram seems not to be to well liked by my pc...I originally had a 566 mhz cpu and 64 mb ram with windows 98 SE over the past 4 years I have done small upgrades I went up to 191 mb of ram and just recent ly to a 733mhz cpu with the intent of adding a 64mb video card and a 64 mb sound card and a total of 256 mb of ram I just got a new ram stick today of 128 mb and I checked on gateway .com to make sure I was buying the right one on ebay It said I can have a total of 512 mb of ram but I only want 256...It also told me to get pc133 style sdram and thats what I got 128 mb pc 133 sdram and when I installed it it read the ram in the bios set up...just fine and then when the system started up it just froze about three times and then it booted up about five more times and then restarted about 1 seconds or so after startup...it seems that my pc doesn't like it to much I am lost I thought it was compatible...I asked my friend who seems to know much more than myself about pc's and the capabilities and he mentioned some "jumpers" on the mother board I found one that when modified it would allow an extra setting in the bios system and it had some settings to modify and they said something that had to do with the sdram and the settings were auto, user specified and then there were three other categories and they had a 1,2,3 after you selected them...My question is can my pc handle 256 of ram and can I modify my mother board settings to use the other stick or is it just not compatible even though it is according to the specs????

dustyjay

Jay
A little more information is needed here. Like Computer brand or Motherboard make and model would be helpful. If you are still using Win98 SE it is inadvisable to install more than 256 meg of ram. Win98 SE and it's devil spawn ME do not like the extra ram as a rule. They are optimized for 256Mb Ram. Problems such as system instability tend to arise with increasing frequency and severity in proportion to the amount over 256Mb.

whitesummer

Model: REMAN BTO 566C BRY I got this info from the gate way tech support Processor
Intel Pentium III, 733 MHz
133MHz external bus

BIOS
Intel Corp. WL81020A.15A.0007.P06.0010031249 10/03/2000

Memory
Upgrade
191MB physical
82% free resources
2 memory slots, 0 free (128+63)

Video
Upgrade
Graphics Adapter: Intel(r) 82810E Graphics Controller
Screen Area/Colors: 800x600 pixels, 65,536 colors
Monitor: Default Monitor

Drives
Upgrade
C:\ (FAT32) 38152MB total, 15877MB free
(Scanned 3/29/2004, Defragged 3/31/2004)
D:\ CD-ROM/CD-RW or DVD Drive
E:\ CD-ROM/CD-RW or DVD Drive
F:\ Removable

Network and Modem
Upgrade
(net) Microsoft Dial-Up Adapter
(net) Microsoft Dial-Up Adapter #2 (VPN Support)
(net) Motorola Motorola SURFboard SB5100 USB Cable Modem

Operating System
Upgrade
Windows 98 SE (Windows 98 4.10.2222 A )
Original setup date: 1/13/2004
DirectX Version: 4.09.00.0900
Swap file managed by Windows
File cache managed by Windows

Browser
MSIE 6.0
Proxy: No proxy set
HTTP level: direct 1.1, proxy 1.0
Scripting version: 5.6.0.6626

I hope this helps this is every thing on the web site all the spec for my junk THanks....

You might try just the new ram by itself and see if that works. Sometimes different ram modules don't like to work together.

dustyjay

Jay
Just a hunch here going by the model number Gateway gave you, it appears that you have a remanufactured computer. I wonder if that is a different way of saying refurbished?

Triple6

Rob
Are you using two sticks of 128MB each? If so try the sticks one at a time and see if the computer boots up. Also EBAY isn't the breatest place to buy computer equipment - you may have got a bad part.

I would recommend buying from a reputable dealer and check the RAM you're buying to see if its the correct type. As an example you can go to www.crucial.com and pick your exact computer and see what RAM is supported by it. Other Memory manufacturers have similar features.

Also, it easier to read posts if they use punctuation.

whitesummer

well, I did try just the new ram and it reads it when it starts to boot then it just freezes and will not boot all the way it freezes in the dos mode. I guess it is not compatible, Right??? I wonder why it is the same as the other 128 mb I have just a little smaller in size...

Smaller in size? Do you mean the width is smaller, or the height? If it's the height, that's OK, but if it's the width...then that's weird.

Anyway, it could simply be bad RAM.

whitesummer

Yeah its smaller in height. Will adjusting the latency on my bois work with the ram??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online