Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ram's frequency?

25K views 49 replies 15 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
Hello.
I suspect that my ram is not in the proper frequency.
Could u plz tell me how to check which my frequency is, then how to set it in right number?(266, 333, 400 etc)

#5 ·
Yes it is! :D

bilibom, we're just kidding you. Really, how in the world would we know how to answer the question without knowing anything about your system? Please, think about it before you answer. :rolleyes:

#8 ·
Yes of course, I knew that. But that was not my question.
I have 4 dimms of 512MB (kingston pc3200, 400Mhz).
I m not sure if their frequency is at the right timing(400).
PCmark05 tells me their frequency is at 333.
My questions r:
-How can I check the real frequency, real time?
-How can I set proper timings(400) if they r not?

#10 ·
It's amazing what more details can accomplish. I'm still curious as to how we could have possibly determined what you wanted from the first message. I'd love to hear an explanation of why that was sufficient information. :)

#11 ·
@big bear,
thanks for your reply.
I have already checked bios, I couldnt see where. I dont like the word 'tweak', I dont want tweak anything, u see. Just set the proper timing.
Could u plz tell me where exackly in bios can I do that?

@JohnWill,
I still believe that info of my system r not necessary for my questions, which havent been answered yet.
Allow me repeat them.

1.How can I see my ram's timing/frequency, now.
2.How can I change the number,if its not the proper.
(I m not asking for the proper number, I know it already-400)

I hope this time I was completely clear:rolleyes:

#12 ·
When you're asking for free help, it's normally a good idea to be a bit more accommodating and a little less sarcastic. It makes people more inclined to offer assistance.

In the BIOS under Advanced Chipset Features, you will find an entry to either automatically identify the memory or manually set the speed. If it's not detected properly, you can set it manually there. In my BIOS, it's DRAM Configuration, it should be something similar in yours. Note that you'll have to also specify stuff like RAS, CAS, RAS to CAS Delay, etc. Those might take some tweaking to get right, but you can start with the specs of the memory you're using. Of course, that's another piece of information we don't have...

#14 ·
don't worry about the word tweaking. Anything that changes ram speed is considered tweaking wether it be bios change or a change from software in the OS environment. That could be a possible thing in windows itself or from 3rd party vendures. Try admin tools and system or performance. They will offer some extra source of info on your system.

#16 ·
You could check to see if your Bios has options for changing that. It's a starting place atleast. Someone else will have to show you the exact spot in 'your' bios. I dont remember enough about bios' to help without looking through one myself. Its not hard if its in there!

#19 ·
Well, unfortunately I cant find any option in bios which is about my subject.

Triple6 said:
4 DIMMS is your problem. Depending on the Stepping of your CPU it can restrict 4 sticks to running at 333Mhz instead of 400Mhz.

See here: http://support.asus.com/faq/faq.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

And I have to totally agree with Johnwill. Without further info we'd never know you were using 4 sticks of RAM.
Who says that 4 dimms is a problem? I have 4 dimms all same, totally 2GB, dual channel mode. Where in the link u wrote says that 4 dimms is a problem?

I can give any info u want, but i havent still received answers in
1) how can I check my ram's timimgs/frequency
2) how can I change it
Seems that no one of u guys can answer about.

#20 ·
He is right. having 4 dims in some systems does slow down the ram! 8)

I was thinking somene had the ram underclocked or something. Assuming it can be. Like bios options for overclocking. guess not!

Sorry, I like combing over problems the slow tedious way.

i'm guessing now you suggest he take out two dimms and see if it tells him it is at the right frequency!! 8)

#22 ·
bilibom said:
Well, unfortunately I cant find any option in bios which is about my subject.

Who says that 4 dimms is a problem? I have 4 dimms all same, totally 2GB, dual channel mode. Where in the link u wrote says that 4 dimms is a problem?

I can give any info u want, but i havent still received answers in
1) how can I check my ram's timimgs/frequency
2) how can I change it
Seems that no one of u guys can answer about.
This will be my last post on the topic, because I quite frankly am tired of your attitude. You appear to be unable to help yourself, even when pointed in the proper direction.

Go to the ASUS FAQ, and select Motherboard, Series, and Model, see the following example. On the second page, it describes the problem. In case all that confuses you, here's the entries you need to use to find the FAQ on your MB. Of course, without the MB model, we would NOT have been able to find this stuff, right? :rolleyes:

Attachments

#23 ·
JohnWill and the others, plz...
First of all I m not talking for any "problem". I made 2 clear questions (repeated many times) but seems no one of u can answer them.
Ok, theres no hard feelings from me, thanks for your interest so far. I hope now someone else in the future could answer.

(PS.JohnWill, my mobo is not A8V but A8V Deluxe. I cant understand why u spoke about "attitude":confused: I think i m quite polite. What else should i do??
Still believe that info for mobo is useless, I asked clearly about rams frequency, how count, how change. I discovered that many people r unable to know it. Can u check your own ram, dear JohnWill?:rolleyes:)

#24 ·
To defend JohnWill again, if you hadn't given him your system info, for all he knew he RAM could run at 133mhz, or really any speed, but seing the little 939 mobo you have let him know we need to look into that board and PC3200 RAM and known problems.

Yes I know I used the word "problem", because your RAM is running at 333 and you want it at 400, so you can use you CPU at the 2000mhz HL speed with the DDR and dual channel to get your full bandwidth.

Most boards can't run at top speed with all four DIMMs in and so step down to 333. I do believe the A8v Deluxe fits into the most catagory.

#25 ·
if you hadn't given him your system info...
As I said, I can give to anyone, any info. Its not any secret and I have already written many details.
... because your RAM is running at 333 and you want it at 400
How do u know this?:eek: (that my ram's running at 333)
But this is one of my questions..."How can I count my Ram's frequency"?
Answer me to this, and I ll let u know in which number my ram's running this very time!:rolleyes:
Most boards can't run at top speed with all four DIMMs in and so step down to 333. I do believe the A8v Deluxe fits into the most catagory.
I put on 4 dimms in order to have dual channel mode, which my mobo supports (I know i can also have it with 2). Nowhere in mobo's manual says that steps down to 333. The only says is that if u put 4x1GB, u ll have 3G tottaly instead of 4G.
Is there any link which prooves your opinion?

#26 ·
Bilibom,
I'm a lurker here and read more to learn than anything else, but I have to say these guys have been immensely patient and, no offense, but getting information about your system has been like pulling teeth. Looks like you've just recently joined, presumable to ask this question, so since your new we'll take a deep breath, unload all the defensive feelings and let's review some things here.

1. This is a free board and kindness/graciousness is valuable currency.
2. These guys are the experts, we are the needy; if they ask for specific info, there's a reason. If we can't fathom the reason, consider that maybe that's why we're the amateurs and they're the experts.
3. Read over your previous posts; you asked how loserOlimbs knew your RAM was running at 333MHz, yet you yourself told us in your earier postings that PCmark05 showed your RAM speed as 333MHz.
4. Just like any case in a court of law, facts mean everything. If you're experiencing a problem with a system, provide all the in-depth technical information you can find, no matter how unrelated it might appear to you: Motherboard number (all of it, not just the package name), RAM type and part number (there's more than one flavor of RAM for each type), BIOS version and manufacturer, Processor part number (not just speed), PC Company (if appicable), periphials connected (yes, they can make a difference), and anything else you can think of. In your particular case, the motherboard and BIOS type will determine how your motherboard handles RAM.

It helps to keep your system info recorded in a text file or something so that when anyone asks, you can just cut and paste and BAM, there it is. Don't worry, no one's going to be able to use it to hack into your system.

Hope that clears up why everyone keeps trying to pull information out of you...it really IS relevent. Chalk it up to misunderstanding and let's move on. If you need any terms explained, don't be afraid to ask. That's what everyone's here for, and trust me, everyone knows how intolerably frustrating computers can be.

All I can offer on your questions is, 1) Other than BIOS, which everyone's trying to help you with already, you can take your RAM down to a local computer shop and have them test your RAM and make sure it runs at the right speed, and 2) BIOS and/or motherboard jumper settings are what determine RAM speed; sometimes it's autosensed, sometimes it's manually changed....it depends on the motherboard and BIOS manufacturer. By knowing what the full motherboard part number and BIOS manufacturer/version you have, these guys should be able to help you out with that, even if the answer is "you can't".

BTW, have you tried calling your motherboard and/or RAM manufacturer and asking them? That would be one sure-fire way to investigate loserOlimb's theory on the dual channel RAM frequency. Many times you might get a suggestion from someone about something they've heard, but it's simply a pointer for you or some other reader to follow; they might not remember where they read it, but it might job someone's memory or give you something to ask your manufacturer.

From your own post, if your Motherboard sees four 1GB modules of RAM as only 3GB, sounds like something's goofy with the way your motherboard is designed and I would not be a bit surprised if it dropped buss speed with 4 pieces of RAM. Heck, I'd personally be more concerned with losing 1GB of RAM than 67MHz of RAM speed (400-333MHz).

Hope this helps,

Jeff K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.