1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ran Defraggler: Free Space DOWN 4% to 13% : (

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by byte-this, Aug 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. byte-this

byte-this Thread Starter

Running an old Dell on Win2kPro (see profile) & have constant battle of keeping this thing moving fast enough that I'm not brewing coffee between clicks. Win utilities wasn't doing squat to defrag so did a bit of research and loaded Defraggler to do the job and it did. Sucker ran for 5 hours and was much improved...so I ran it again. Problem is I've LOST a LOT of crucial free space in the process. :eek: I've read other tags about this happening but haven't seen anything that helps find the issue.

Yes, I've emptied Recycle, cleared as much as I could thru %temp%, and dug into dusty corners that I'm concerned I could regret already and emptied all that. I picked up 1% that painful way. I've read that it's the copy file of what Defraggler reorganized that Win has saved somewhere in case a restore is needed and have dug into the backup app, admin tools and anywhere else I could look for something like this and found nothing. I'm sure it's laid deep and tough to access to save hacks like me from ourselves.

Thoughts, input...answers appreciated! Thanks!

Signed, techless in seattle :eek:

2. playtom

playtom

Strangly, the same company that made defraggler also makes CCleaner, one of the most reknowned clean-up utilities for windows users. Try doing a clean up and registry fix in CCleaner and tell me if you get any results. One time i did a clean-up and it said that 10 mb of space was removed. Then i did a reboot and when i got back on around 5-7 GB of free space appeared.

The most likely cause is that your system did not properly recognize the free space that was later allocated when the defragging was completed. Don't worry, all your stuff is still there, it's just that Windows doesn't like to do real-time checkups on everything that's there sometimes.

3. byte-this

byte-this Thread Starter

Hmm. Downloaded cc cleaner and ran analysis and it wants to remove "61,132 kb of AVG 8.0 utilities"....my virus software. Perhaps it's an older version of my AVG 8.5? I don't want to wipe my virus protection off. :confused:

4. boo5790

boo5790 It's My Birthday!

byte-this, it is not recommended to use any type of registry cleaners, optimizers of any kind because they can cause more damage to you system than you already have.Dont use the registry cleaner in crap cleaner. These utilities are well known for messing up your registry to the point of not even being able to boot up at all. My suggestion would be to install Malwarebytes 1.40 from this site http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/
    and SuperAntispyware 4.27.1002 from this site http://www.filehippo.com/download_superantispyware/
    Make sure you update them both and run scans with them. Fix anything they find. If you are still having the same problem afterwards, i would suggest installing hijack this 2.0.2 from this site http://www.filehippo.com/search?q=hijack+this and click scan and save a logfile. paste the log here and i am sure that one of the more experienced ladies or gents will help you out. Just be a little patient as they are pretty swamped.

5. byte-this

byte-this Thread Starter

I will continue to hold off running CC Cleaner. As far as the Malwarebytes and Superantispy I dont' think I have a virus or malware issue and am reluctant to load more of that stuff on my maxed out system. I think it's pretty "clean" on that stuff and that it may be some kind of ghost or duplicate backup files related to the defrag activities. AVG 8.5 Internet (paid version) is a pretty broad/thorough virus program. I have it on all 3 of my computers.

6. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Do you have system restore on ?

7. byte-this

byte-this Thread Starter

Hi there. : ) Where do I check for that? Is that a Win utility?

8. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Sorry my mistake
    you are using 2000
    I don't believe it had it

9. byte-this

byte-this Thread Starter

Well- it does have a Backup and Restore function in the Win Utilities. It's part of the whole Win System Tools group. If that's what you're referring to I believe it's always "on". It would need to have something saved to pull from in the Backup segment though and it does not. When I've tried to engage it in the past it pulls the screen from inside Backup with three file folders that are always empty.

10. Dwel

Dwel

boo5790,

He needs HDD space and your tellin him to install a bunch of malware crap? omg. ive been running crap cleaner for years and never had an issue, never.

You want to see where your hdd is being used up and dont want to install all that bullcrap run windirstat http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=287 (its portable, doesnt install) youll see where all the wasted space is going.

11. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

I found this info

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=23878

12. byte-this

byte-this Thread Starter

lol! hey Dwel. i knew better than to go there so no harm. : ) will check the hdd diagnostic and give feedback.

Blackmirror- thanks. will check out that thread too. i came to this site from a google search where i saw some other feedback on the issue. problem was the threads stopped mid air without resolution so posted my own.

13. byte-this

byte-this Thread Starter

Hey Dwel- winderstat is pretty cool app. didn't find the 4% I lost but did see where I'm hammering my space. Got WAY too much going on in my Outlook. the app showed it at 100% capacity too. : ) Will have to follow up on Blackmirror's thread tues.

You said you'd never had issues with "crap cleaner"...CC Cleaner? Feedback on it wanting to dump AVG 8 off my drive? Any input on Glarry Utilities?

14. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    I use Diskeeper Lite myself. It's a good utility, albeit rather out of date now. I've never had any problem with this missing space issue, and I defragment my drive once a week.

It's worth checking out: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Diskeeper_Lite_d1207.html

15. byte-this

byte-this Thread Starter

Awesome. Will give it a run. Can't be any more out of date than a 9 year old Win utility! Thx!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!