1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ran Scannow, now have no Sound, XP with SP3

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Doctor-D, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Doctor-D

Doctor-D Thread Starter

Ok here is my problem
    I was having a problem with the WMI service. I decided to run sfc /scannow to check and see if it could find a problem (big mistake). While sfc was running it asked for the Windows CD several times, no problem and then it finished. When I rebooted I got a Blue screen of Death about a problem with a device driver. I booted into Safe Mode and disabled the Video & Sound cards. I then rebooted and that took care of my boot problem. I reloaded the drivers for each and turned them back on and rebooted. I can now boot up with no problem. But now I do not have any sound. The Device Manager says the sound card is working OK but the Control Panel “Sounds & Audio Devices Properties” says “No Audio Device” I have tried several times reinstalling the Sound drivers but no luck. I checked the Windows Audio in the services window and it is running and set for Automatic. I made sure the sound scheme was set to Windows Default. I even bought a new sound card uninstalled the old drivers and installed the new ones and the same thing. I checked to make sure the audiosrv.dll & audiodev.dll were still in the System32 folder and they are.
    I then install the Motherboard drivers and guess what my WMI problem was corrected but still no sound.
    I feel sfc has either installed the wrong Dll file or removed one it should not have but I have no ideal what file it could be as I get no warning of missing files. Maybe sfc changed a Register setting.
    Anyone have any new ideals I could try.

2. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

drastic measure enter the registry and remove keys for the make of sound card you have installed.the old one as well if you know the manufacturer.
    in the services disable the WMI adapter its not needed
    shut down and then remove the sound card. if you have on board sound make sure you disable it(in the bios) if you reinstall the sound card.So boot up install the software for the card then shut down and install the sound card in its slot reboot and windows should install the sound system.

3. Lockeyp

Lockeyp

Having read about your problem this may or may not be a stupid question - you dont say if your speakers are free standing if they are are they switched on or turned up,

Lockeyp

4. Doctor-D

Doctor-D Thread Starter

Johnebadbak, thanks for the reply. Tried your suggestion with no luck.

Lockeyp, The speakers are not an issue as Windows internal sound system is not working. I only wish it was that simple.

I tried purging the Dllcache and rebuilding it, still no sound.

I have a strong feeling the problem lies with a Register setting. When I go to “Sound & Audio Device Properties” and look under the Hardware tab I see my sound card. But yet everything is grayed out under the Audio tab.

5. bbearren

bbearren

If you ran sfc /scannow on an SP3 upgraded OS and used an XP CD that did not have SP3 slipstreamed into it (an SP2 CD or an SP1 CD) you have probably scrambled your SP3 upgrade. Have you tried reinstalling SP3?

6. Doctor-D

Doctor-D Thread Starter

Yes I did reinstall SP3, still same problem

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Have you tried System Restore back to a time prior to your doing this?

8. A+Computer

A+Computer

Uninstall Sound card From add/remove.
    Uninstall Sound card from Device manager.
    Delete sound card folder in C:/program files
    Run msconfig start: run: msconfig hit startup tab, uncheck old and new sound card to stop if from starting with windows.

Download and run
    http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1655

Reboot with onboard disabled which you said you've done.
    Download fresh driver from the website manufacturer, install and reboot.

9. Doctor-D

Doctor-D Thread Starter

Rich-M, Stupid me had the restore monitor turned off for faster boots, I learn my lesson.

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

Ouch!!!!!

11. Doctor-D

Doctor-D Thread Starter

A+Computer, Gave that a try but still no sound, thanks anyway.

12. bbearren

bbearren

What is the brand and model of the sound card?

13. Doctor-D

Doctor-D Thread Starter

I have two, one built into motherboard, Gagabyte Realtek & PCI Card by
    C-Media CMI8738. The Realtek is turned off in the BIOS and the C-Media is the current one active.

14. bbearren

bbearren

If you have the drivers/software CD that came with the card, you might try uninstalling Xtreme Sound PCI from Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs, open device manager and uninstall the sound card, shut down the PC and physically remove the sound card, then restart the PC (with the onboard sound still disabled).

After XP has completely rebooted, shut down the PC again and reinstall the sound card in a different PCI slot, then restart the PC.

When XP recognizes the sound card and asks for the drivers, insert the CD that came with the sound card. If you don't have the CD, before you do the uninstall you can download the drivers here.

15. Doctor-D

Doctor-D Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply but I have already done that several times. I just can't figure out what the scannow function did that is stopping Windows from seeing the sound card in the Device Manager and linking to it. I also just realized I have a web camera with sound and it is also in the device Manager showing it is working OK but not showing up in the “Sounds & Audio Devices Properties" Audio tab but does show up under the “Sounds & Audio Devices Properties" Hardware tab with the sound card. This is just strange.
    It has got to be a Register setting that is causing the problem. My system is working great other than the sound after I reinstalled the Mother Boards drivers. If there was a missing file or a corrupt one I would think something else would also be effected or Windows would be complaining.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/751428

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice