Random black screen crashes - not on boot

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

vanfan

I am getting random system crashes. It does not happen on boot. Nothing specific triggers this, it might not happen for 5 hours or so...... but once it happened 3 times within 6 minutes, each time when clicking on a certain link. Mostly it happens when I click on a link but it might also happen when I do nothing.
When it does happen, the screen suddenly goes black and then the system will boot itself up again automatically. A message will say "The system has recovered from a serious error - please report this to Microsoft".
This problem started about 5 days ago, when I had to change over to a different ISP. I told the new ISP guy that I was getting frequent "Limited or no connectivity" balloons. He said this was due to a certain network security key, as my wireless network was being managed by the wireless USB adaptor. So he changed my wireless network to be managed by Windows. The next day I had the first crash.
I have called him back but he says it is my machine that causes the black screen crashes, not the new cable modem or the wireless network management settings.
I run XP with SP3 and IE8. I have not installed any new programs.
What could be causing the black screen crashes?

daz1

Banned
Limited or no connectivity" would not cause a crash, try it in a different usb socket

vanfan

Thanks for replying. Maybe I did not make myself clear, but before the management of the wireless network was changed, I used to get "Limited or no connectivity" about 3 times a day. I did not get black screens. That's why the guy changed the wireless network to be managed by Windows. I did NOT however get a black screen and a total system crash.
Since the day that Windows is managing the wireless network, I do not get "Limited or no connectivity" any more, but what I do get is the black screen with the total system crash. The black screen briefly displays the message "No signal - going to sleep" before the system automatically reboots.
This makes me think that it is a monitor problem? Why would it say "No signal - going to sleep?" In other words, it does not cut me off the internet, it blacks out the monitor and then reboots.
This morning it happened again when I was logging into online banking. I cannot access the error report but it says the following files will be included in the report: One of the files is a mini dump file and the other one is sysdata.xml.
I have searched for sysdata.xml, it is not on my HD.
Should I change back to letting my wireless network USB adaptor manage the wireless network?

vanfan

I have just plugged the wireless USB adaptor into a different USB socket, a USB socket that is directly located at the back of the tower. It was plugged into one leg of a 4 leg USB adaptor before. So far, that seems to have done the trick, as I was able to log into online banking without problems.
So thanks a lot for that tip! I will be back should I get the dreaded black screen again, LOL.

vanfan

Still getting random black screen with automatic resets.
Should I change back to letting the wireless network USB adaptor manage the network?
Also, I have a Microsoft wireless mouse whose adaptor is plugged into a USB hub on the keyboard. I am getting a frozen cursor on the screen randomly. When it happens, I have to reset the system. I do not know if the frozen cursor problem is related to the black screens.

vanfan

Just for anybody else's benefits, I disabled automatic restart after system crash. This means you then get the blue screen of death instead of the black screen. The blue screen of death gives a stop error message. Mine read as follows:
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
I then downloaded the latest driver for my graphics card. So far, this seems to have sorted out the problem. For a whole day I have not had a system crash yet.
BTW how do you read a mini dump file? It says this file which has ext .dmp cannot be opened by Windows. Just curious, in case it happens again.

vanfan

The problem (BSOD) is back. DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
The stop error messages are as follows:
OX000000D1 (OXFFBE8D86, OX00000002, OX00000000, OXF67F4810)
Please help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!