1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Random Black Screen While Playing Games

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Demonlie, Apr 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Demonlie

Demonlie Thread Starter

Hiya guys, newbie here to the forums. I've been having a problem where a black screen would randomly appear while I'm playing games.I'm sorry if I picked the wrong section. I have built a custom computer a few days ago, and I've had a problem with my screen going black when playing games. I'm using a Windows 8..1 64-bit computer along with an XFX Radeon R7 260X graphics card. I know it isn't my HDMI cables. When my computer's screen goes black, I can hear audio from my videos and Skype but after a few minutes I cease to hear anything, and sometimes, it will loop the sounds over and over again. I've been using my laptop hard drive for my computer, and I had a similar problem, as it froze a lot. I'm suspecting my hard drive needs to be formatted. Along with that, I have to force shut-down my computer, as it doesn't turn off properly. If any help is available, it'll be greatly appreciated. I'm using an Intel Core i5 Processor, and I'm also using a 650 watt power supply. 8GB of RAM and Direct X 11.2.

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    SO you yanked the HDD out of your laptop and did NOT reinstall wndows or REFORMAT the HDD and clean install windows?? That means you're technically violating the EULA of the OEM copy of windows on your laptop. Aside from that, the issue most likely is because you need to CLEAN install windows (u will have to BUY A LEGIT COPY) and install all the drivers for the mobo too.

Whats the make and model of the PSU??

3. Demonlie

Demonlie Thread Starter

I did re-install Windows 8.1, and I've bought a legit copy. I did not reformat the HDD, but I was planning to. The model of my PSU is the Ultra Professional HS Hybrid Series 650 Watt Peak ATX Power Supply.

4. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    thats a JUNK unit...you need a QUALITY name brand unit for that GPU to work correctly

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Your post is difficult to follow. Is the system currently using a laptop hd with windows previously installed or not?

Next post ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact mb installed, exact cpu installed, exact ram installed, etc, etc, etc. Note do not post "8gig of ram" post the exact brand and model#

Next post the following; cpu temp, system temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values.

6. Demonlie

Demonlie Thread Starter

The system is currently using a laptop hard drive with a newly installed Windows, not my old installed Windows.
    RAM : PNY DDR3. PC3-10666
    CPU Temp: 36C
    System Temp: 35C

Don't know how to find out the 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values.

7. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    check the bios....you DID reinstall OVER the old windows so might need to FORMAT and do it again, however with such a lowend PSU you are going to have problems.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

How do you have the laptop drive connected; is it through some type of adapter or directly to sata data and pw connectors?
    In addition, what exact mb and cpu do you have installed?

9. Demonlie

Demonlie Thread Starter

Found the values:
    12V: 3.264V
    5V: 3.407V
    3.3V: 2.040V

And my laptop drive is connected directly with a SATA cable.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The 12V cannot be 3.264V; the system would not even boot. All of your voltages show low. Did you read those from the bios or from a third party program like hwmonitor? If it was from a program, enter the bios and read the voltages there.

You do understand that a laptop drive has lower performance than a standard desktop drive. They have lower speed and usually less cache. Most laptop drives spin 5400rpm as opposed to desktop drives that are usually 7200rpm. In regard to cache, most laptop drives are 8~16meg of cache with desktops 32~64meg of cache.

11. Demonlie

Demonlie Thread Starter

That's one of my problems. I'm using a wireless keyboard and it isn't detected until the login screen is shown, so I am unable to go into the BIOS. And I've used a third party program to find out the Voltage.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You have never posted your exact mb. Many board makers have purpose built monitoring software ie asus probe, gigabyte easytune, etc. If you post your board, I can check to see if there is software available. Software that is designed for your board will give you accurate readings [something you are not getting from whatever program you are using] This is just one reason why I told you to post ALL of your exact specs.

Honestly if you are concerned about performance [which I assume you are since you play games with the system] I would really dump the laptop hd and go with either a ssd or a performance drive like a raptor drive.

13. Demonlie

Demonlie Thread Starter

Alright. The motherboard is the Gigabyte B85M-HD3 Ultra Durable Motherboard: LGA 1150

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Easytune is available for your mb. Download and install easytune; you can read all of your temps and voltages. Note this is also an overclocking utility so do not change any settings. Just read the hardware monitor part.
    Support page for your board;
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4568#ov

15. Demonlie

Demonlie Thread Starter

Alright, thanks crjdriver. I've installed EasyTune and the values are:
    12V: 12.240
    5V: 5.1
    3.3V: 3.344

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1124905

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice