1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Random blue screens

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rugz, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rugz

Rugz Thread Starter

Hi guys, new here. :)

Very long story to tell. At first, i was bluescreening randomly, both at desktop and whilst gaming. I reformatted and the blue screening stopped. The blue screens were pretty much random, some KMODE exception not handled and various others.

But it has since started again, but only when i game. I get random errors, i don't get any visual glitches and my card doesn't run hot. It has happened twice in a row now today. I have had a total of 3 bluescreens (i think there was a 4th but it wasn't recorded for some reason) visable to bluescreenview since the clean install of windows. In chronological order they are as follows:

24/01/11 Reference_By_Pointer

29/01/11 BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER

29/01/11 KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

These run along the lines of the bluescreens i was having prior to the reformat. The ntoskrnl.exe is the cause apparently of many of my blue screens, both prior to reformat and afterwards, however the bugcode_usb one was usb related drivers/files. I'm fairly sure though that the ntoskrnl.exe can crash without it being the cause, but crashing because something else had caused the crash.

I have tried everything, reformat, memtest, checking hdd health, plus a tonne of other stuff and i've just given up. I am a student and poor as hell, i have no hardware to use in isolation tests other than the hardware in my case.

halp :(

The bluescreening seems to just happen in game now. though it has only happened twice, they were within an hour of each other.

At first after reformatting i had driver issues, and my drivers would crash and fail to install, and would crash when i watched video (but not when i gamed) i have since fixed that by disabling hardware acceleration on flash video. However the blue screens are back.

2. Rugz

Rugz Thread Starter

Also, tonight i shall be running an overnight memtest, im fairly sure it is a hardware problem now, because i have reformatted countless times and while that seemed to fix the problem, i bluescreen ingame now :(

3. Rugz

Rugz Thread Starter

Another bluescreen, temp for my card was fine, crashed while in bad company 2. Could not create minidump, but error was something to do with audio and was a .sys file.

It seems to only crash when in game now (as opposed to before the reformat) i dont get any visual glitches or anything. I had overclocked +10 (smallest increment) for a short while only for a day and then back to default settings, card temp was fine the whole time, this was about a week ago.

4. drakeonfire

drakeonfire

I'm no expert but it sounds like it would be a RAM problem, make sure you use something like http://www.memtest.org/ for testing the RAM, though I'd recommend just doing it now, 2 tests take about 1 hour for me.

5. Rugz

Rugz Thread Starter

Yah, i think thats what im gonna do overnight tonight.

6. Rugz

Rugz Thread Starter

I had run memtest overnight, 11 passes no errors.

7. Rugz

Rugz Thread Starter

Bluescreened again playing Dawn of war 2.

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

caused by driver ndis.sys

8. hackitfast

hackitfast

I used to get bluescreens while gaming, but it stopped after I switched out my RAM with new ones. To test it, I put one stick in at a time, and tested for the blue screen. As soon as the blue screens stopped, I could determine which one was the culprit.

If not the RAM, try upgrading to the latest Video Card drivers, either ATI or GeForce. This has also stopped Bluescreening for me in the past. It may seem strange, but it could work.

-Rob

9. Rugz

Rugz Thread Starter

Hi Hackit, thanks for replying!

i just reseated my card, switched over PCI-e cables (though i only have two, and card requires two, so i switched them around). I have the latest drivers. If i continue to bluescreen, i shall start removing ram. I have 4x1gb ddr2 ram (depressingly) so i'll remove one at a time and see if it stops me blue screening. i'm hoping if it was ram it would only be one of them. Otherwise it would be very hard to test.

10. Rugz

Rugz Thread Starter

I may have possibly solved. I had just reseated the card and gave it a major clean out. Further my D drive was fairly full (250mb or so free space) and that is where my virtual mem was meant to be, so i cleaned that out.

I got through about 3 rounds of bad company 2 and then quit without blue screening. I'm hoping that it is fixed, but i shall stresstest tonight, if it doesn't bluescreen then i shall mark as solved.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977652

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice