1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

random BSOD errors. I know its either mobo or hard drive - how can I narrow it down?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sphinx, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

RAM is good for sure. It has been tested and also is an RMA return from Kingston.
    Power supply is good.

The BSODs don't seem to be a driver issue, as they often refer to many different things and also the OS kernel, and happen quite randomly.

I have also noticed very subtle weird things like EXEs being "corrupt", cds that I've burned missing certain files, etc.

I suspected the hard drive and did a complete error-checking, yet I still get many BSODs (about once every few hours and the frequency seems to be increasing). Its almost unusable. The hard drive SMART detection doesnt show anything abnormal about the hard drive.

I want to know how I can narrow it down without swapping in a new hard drive. I have a feeling some path on the motherbaord is no good. But motherboard issues are worth dealing with just throw it away and get a new one heh.

Of course, it could be the sound card this whole time. It is a Creative... so... heh
    I guess I will try to run on onbaord sound tonight and see if I get any BSODs.

Any help appreciated,
    Thanks.

2. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

but the weird corrupt files and suich wouldn't be explain by BSODs occurring from a sound card driver issue (at least I don't think), which is why I have narrowed it down to hard drive or motherboard.

I will try running in safe mode tonight, yet still that won't help me figure out between a motherboard and hard drive problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755224

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice