1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Random BSODs after 5-10min or on shutdown

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by emailwedgy, Dec 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. emailwedgy

emailwedgy Thread Starter

Hi all, looking for help on a random bsods fault. By random I mean different BCCodes at a regular time, not the other way around.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    (Toshiba Satellite A300)
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8700 @ 2.53GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2045 Mb (Arrived in workshop with 4GB, had a stick out when test was done)
    Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 295308 MB, Free - 254408 MB; D: Total - 305242 MB, Free - 200316 MB;
    Motherboard: TOSHIBA, Portable PC
    Antivirus: Trend Micro Internet Security Pro, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled
    Battery needs replacing.

Here's the fault:
    - BSODs around 5-10 minutes after turn on. Sometimes at the logon screen, sometimes need to be logged on.
    - BSODs indicate a selection of BCCodes (a, 17, 18 most common)
    - Happens quicker when using the machine (web surfing, poking around control panel etc)
    - Happens on shut down if I've used the machine (again, web surfing etc) but got off quick enough.
    - Stable in safe mode.

Here's what I've done.
    - Moved RAM modules. Happens with either or both installed.
    - Turned off all startup items using Spybot S&D
    - Disabled hardware drivers not in use.
    - Memtest, clear; but I now know this isn't worth squat.
    - Attached the minidump files

Any ideas? Other forum posts seem to indicate memory or IRQ. System screen doesn't indicate an IRQ conflict and I've swapped the RAM around. I'm stumped. Could a dying battery (won't last any length of time unplugged) drop the supply voltages enough to cause BSODs? Surely not.

Regards,

Phil

Attached Files:

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Two logs with BCC code 19 indicate a problem with AlfaFF.sys. This is an Alfa Corp. driver for some unknown hardware.
    Nine logs with BCC code 18 indicate a problem with tmcomm.sys. This is a driver for Trend Micro Internet Security.
    One log with BCC code F7 (stack overflow) also indicates a problem with tmcomm.sys.

Since most are related to tmcomm.sys, and one is a driver stack overflow BSOD, posting a HijackThis log would be a good next step.

3. Ditrich

Ditrich

To add mine since I've analyzed it anyway. In short, update old drivers and load bios defaults. If bsod persist, disable the Alpha Network device.

------------------------------------------------------

121311-23306-01.dmp -- BAD_POOL_HEADER (19)
    Driver involved AlfaFF.sys Fri Feb 29 18:00:58 2008,

121311-22978-01.dmp -- BAD_POOL_HEADER (19)
    Driver involved AlfaFF.sys Fri Feb 29 18:00:58 2008
    Try to update this driver at Toshiba or at Alpha Network.

---------------------------------------------------------

21111-17908-01.dmp -- REFERENCE_BY_POINTER (18)
    Driver involved tmcomm.sys Trend Micro

121111-17908-01.dmp -- REFERENCE_BY_POINTER (18)
    Driver involved tmcomm.sys Trend Micro

---------------------------------------------------------

1. Try to update old Toshibas drivers if they are available at Toshiba support site. Touchpad, audio, network, as many as you can.

2. (Temporarily) replace Trend Micro with Microsoft Security essentials which is more resistant to BSOD's especially with old drivers.

3. You've checked the memory and tried per stick in different slots. Good. Next load optimized defaults in the bios.

If the problem persists,

- see if the system crashes in safe mode with and without networking, in this case it is hardware for sure: ram or the network card/wireless (Alpha Network device)

- disable the Alpha Network device.

4. emailwedgy

You guys rock.

Ditrich, I did sneak in there that the system is indeed stable in safe mode. It ran overnight here and was still running this morning. Wasn't being used, but it stayed up. Edit - I should also add that I went to uninstall Trend Micro through the control panel and it didn't have it on the system; asked if I wanted to remove it from the list.

5. emailwedgy

Attached HiJackThis log

Phil

Attached Files:

6. Ditrich

Ditrich

1. To uninstall Trend Micro use their official tool:

http://esupport.trendmicro.com/solution/en-us/1037161.aspx

2. Disable the Alpha Network device in the device manager, reboot and see how goes.

3. If stuck with 1 and 2, alternatively go to c:\windows\system32\drivers and rename to .bak these files:

AlfaFF.sys
    tmcomm.sys

See if bsods persist now.

7. emailwedgy

Success.

Thanks Ditrich. I removed the Trend Micro and one other Toshiba program and it's fixed.

Some further reading, and a phone call with the owner. The unit went to Toshiba some months ago - who fixed an unrelated fault. Toshiba then recommended they install Win 7. Owner did, but only upgraded from Vista without following any of Toshibas processes. Toshibas website is quite clear that this machine will not upgrade smoothly unless done to their guide. Lessons learned for me anyway.

Regards,

Phil

8. Ditrich

Ditrich

You are welcome, just would like to point this out again:

AlfaFF.sys Fri Feb 29 18:00:58 2008

This driver is old and was not written for Windows 7. Try to update it.

9. emailwedgy

Will do. Thanks

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031745

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice