1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Random BSOD's

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by karlosio, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. karlosio

karlosio Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm randomly getting BSOD errors causing me to have to restart my computer. This happens about every 3 days or so (or sometimes sooner or longer than that). Each time the error reads:

Stop: 0x0000008E

(0xC0000005, 0x804FA6E0, 0xBA47A95C, 0x00000000)

When I restart the PC works fine again. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Do you know when it started and does this date, match the installation of any new hardware Or additional programmes. Firstly, check and see if any hardware has warnings.
    If that is all clear run Memtest, allow it to make two passes.
    The cause is usually faulty ram, out of date driver or occasionally bad power supply, when on demand.
    http://www.memtest.org/

3. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Can you post a few of your latest minidump files? They are located in C:\WINDOWS\Minidump. ZIP them and attach them to your next post.

4. karlosio

karlosio Thread Starter

I'm afraid I don't know the exact date it started now, but it has been happening roughly about a few weeks.

How do I run memtest?

to Phantom010:

There seems to be no such folder on my hard drive called C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

5. Phantom010

That's odd. It could be a hidden folder. Try unhiding files and folders in your Folder Options.

The reason may also involve never having set your computer to produce minidump files (crash dumps). Then again, I don't know why the folder would only be created at that point. [​IMG]

6. Phantom010

Click HERE to find the program to download. Then, burn the ISO image to a CD/DVD and boot from it. From there, follow the on screen instructions.

7. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Did you check Device Manager.
    Right click My Computer, click Properties, click Hardware, click Device Manager and see if any of the devices have warning indicators.
    If so post back with details.
    Download memtest from the link and run the programme.
    OR save from here unzip and make floppy .

Attached Files:

8. karlosio

karlosio Thread Starter

Yeah I've looked and there are no warning indicators showing up in device manager.

I burned memtest to a CDRW using the ISO option and booted with it and ran the program doing 2 pass's and there were also no errors found.

To Phantom010:

I moved my pagefile to a different hard drive when I tweaked my computer when I installed XP a while back, I have now moved it back to the drive with Windows installed. By right clicking My computer > Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery settings and reseting the small memory dump (64K) results in an warning that reads

Windows cannot send administrative alerts unless the Alerter service is running.

If go to control panel > adminsitrative tools > services and try to start the alerter service, this results in another error:

Could not start the Alerter service on Local Computer
    Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

9. Phantom010

Check if the Workstation service is on Automatic.

10. karlosio

karlosio Thread Starter

Thanks it was was disabled. Alerter is now running. I'll re-post with the minidump files once it happens again.

Thanks a lot for your help.

11. Phantom010

You're welcome!

12. karlosio

karlosio Thread Starter

Its taken a while since it happened the last time but I've just had another BSOD. I have attached the minidump file as requested.

Attached Files:

13. Phantom010

eamon.sys, a driver for ESET's NOD32 antivirus, seems to be in most of your minidump files.

Make sure you have the latest version of NOD32.

14. karlosio

karlosio Thread Starter

Thats strange, as I didn't know I had that program installed (that I know of anyway). I've never even heard of it until now :S

15. Phantom010

Sorry, forget about eamon.sys. I read somebody else's minidump files. You only have one and it mentions memory corruption. It's a little too generic to be of much help.

The error is often caused by drivers using improper addresses.

Try updating a few of your drivers, like video, NIC, audio...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921330

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice