1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Random Characters Typed by Keyboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Celestial Beaver, Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Celestial Beaver

Celestial Beaver Thread Starter

Firstly can I apologise if this thread is in the wrong place. The problem I am having is driving me mad, and while I don't think it's a hardware issue, I had no idea where else on this site to post.

Now to business...

My PC seems to be typing random numbers whenever any text box is selected in any program or website. Please note it is a PC, not a Laptop. All the solutions I have found so far relate to the touch pad on Laptops but that can't be the issue here.

When I unplug the keyboard the PC continues to type random numbers. On restarting the PC the problem goes away for a while, but soon raises it's ugly head again. Sometimes the issue gets even more bizarre and extreme whereby pressing keys on the keyboard will launch programs. For instance, the other day I pressed "S" and the PC loaded Windows Media Player!

I have searched and searched for answers, trying everything I can think of, but the results from Google tend to be unhelpful when you type in things like "Help, my keyboard's gone loopy" or "keyboard random characters". Incidentally, it's favourite character to type is the number "8".

The closest thing I came to a solution was someone suggesting that somewhere deep within the PC virtual keys are getting stuck...the PC thinks I'm holding down the "8" key for example. Sadly I couldn't verify this and have no idea how to solve it!

The PC in question is rather *ahem* "basic". On board graphics. Some kind of AMD Sempron processor I think. Probably just a token amount of memory. It's a PC in my workplace so unfortunately I can't be sure....since I'm the person in the office with the most IT knowledge anyway nobody else is of any use!

I would really appreciate any help on this.

Thanks for reading.

2. jazz3000

jazz3000

It almost sounds like your Accessibility onscreen keyboard has been messed with. Or specfic hotkeys have been allocated to do something and have gone awry. It's an issue within the PC and you might have to suggest a repair to the particular system to right the problem. Jazz

3. Celestial Beaver

Celestial Beaver Thread Starter

Thanks for your response.

As an update to this thread I've decided to uninstall and reinstall the keyboard drivers.

So far so good, but I'm not wanting to speak too soon and jinx myself too much, since the PC lasted from 8:30AM until 2:00PM yesterday before it started going loopy!

Fingers Crossed.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/792421