Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tyrionlannister

Hello tech folks.
Could use some help here.
My PC reboots every 2-3 hours or so when I'm gaming (low-end games like Fallout 3 and farming sim) and sometimes even when I'm watching simple YouTube vids (rarely). Temperatures were completely normal even when running high-end games like Far Cry 4 maxed out, some 2 months back when this problem apparently didn't exist (neither GPU, CPU or motherboard ever crossed 70C on Speccy). I also ran Windows Mem Diagnostic since I recently removed a Kingston 2 GB RAM stick to fit into another PC but it found no errors. Also updated all my drivers except BIOS, with no results. My PC still 'cold reboots' every few hours. Only thing I haven't checked is the PSU because apparently it's a bit complicated. Scoured the whole internet for answers, but couldn't find any.

My specs:

Power: Corsair VS650 - 650W PSU

CPU: Intel i5 - 3570 @ 3.4 Ghz

GPU: 3072MB PowerColor ATI AMD R9 200 series (Radeon R9 280X OC)

M'board: Intel - DZ75ML-45K

Storage: 117GB SanDisk SDSSDP128G (SSD) (Primary boot drive)
931 GB Western Digital WDC SATA HDD and
931 GB Seagate Expansion External SATA HDD

Memory: 2 sticks (4+2GB) 6 GB Single Channel DDR3 @ 666 MHz (9-9-9-24)

Display: Samsung 1920 X 1080 supported HDTV.

P.S. The problem only started a month ago, before which the PC ran just fine. It's a new build and hasn't been OC'ed. Plus I'm a tech noob.

Last edited:

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
Well one thing off the bat I see is a graphics card that requires a minimum of a 750W power supply.

Most likely your PSU isn't up to the task whenever you do something that requires access to the gpu, like gaming or videos.

That's indicative of a PSU that's not strong enough.

I would recommend a Corsair 850 watt Tx, AX , or HX series PSU for such a beefy card.

Technically your PSU is about 150 watts UNDERPOWERED so its likely the issue

tyrionlannister

Well, the manufacturer recommends a 500W or greater power supply which is why I bought mine in the first place.
Also the PC ran smoothly the first few months running games like Far Cry 4, Wolfeinstein, Shadow of Mordor, all maxed out with nary an issue. Now my PC reboots playing YouTube vids and low end games like Farming Sim 15. I'm hoping this is a memory issue but if it isn't, I'd like to know.
Thanks for the quick reply. Plus if it's any help no event logs or the like are generated at the restart.

crjdriver

The vs line from corsair is for a basic system ONLY; no gaming, no overclocking or any other stressful endeavor. From the corsair site;
VS Series is the entry-level line of 240 Volt power supplies with high-end features. VS Series PSUs are a great choice if you’re building a home or office system with lower power demands, but you still demand the compatibility and reliability that Corsair is known for.
The very first thing I would do would be to swap in a decent pw supply. Good ie brands; corsair [hx, ax, or rm models ONLY] seasonic, FSP [units with 5yr warranty ONLY] or antec HCG models ONLY.

crjdriver

BTW since you have an intel board, you can install the intel tools from the page for your mb. Monitor the voltages; specifically 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Post those here.

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
The vs line from corsair is for a basic system ONLY; no gaming, no overclocking or any other stressful endeavor. From the corsair site;
The very first thing I would do would be to swap in a decent pw supply. Good ie brands; corsair [hx, ax, or rm models ONLY] seasonic, FSP [units with 5yr warranty ONLY] or antec HCG models ONLY.
As you see, the power supply is likely the culprit.

Thx for the input Crj.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
M'board: Intel - DZ75ML-45K
That Intel DZ75ML-45K motherboard supports up to 32 GB(8 GB X 4) of RAM and uses DDR3-1066 or DDR3-1333 or DDR3-1600 modules.
Memory: 2 sticks (4+2GB) 6 GB Single Channel DDR3 @ 666 MHz (9-9-9-24)
You appear to have a single 4 GB module and single 2 GB module in yours, and both appear to be DDR3-1333.

---------------------------------------------------------------

crjdriver

Also the PC ran smoothly the first few months running games like Far Cry 4, Wolfeinstein, Shadow of Mordor, all maxed out with nary an issue.
Very often when you use a part in a manner for which it was not designed, it fails quickly OR you significantly shorten it life. Same thing as running the engine in your car at full throttle all of the time; how long do you think the engine would last???

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
Very often when you use a part in a manner for which it was not designed, it fails quickly OR you significantly shorten it life. Same thing as running the engine in your car at full throttle all of the time; how long do you think the engine would last???
Indeed. In essence you have probably "Worn out" the power supply far before it was designed to be "worn out" by placing far to much stress on it.

tyrionlannister

Who's this "manufacturer" you're referring to? The maker if the pc? Of the card?

The graphics card manufacturer states here scroll down to details.

http://m.newegg.com/Product/Details?itemnumber=14-131-533
The card manufacturer PowerColor on the box. I also consulted various internet forums before making any purchases. I'm not sure why there's such a wide difference in the recommended power supply. Many internet forums say 650W is overkill for the card, but I'm not sure anymore. Anyway, wouldn't power supply problems manifest early on and when playing demanding games? Thanks again.

@crjdriver I'm using speccy to monitor the volages here, hopefully there's no problems with that. They are as follows:

CPU CORE 0.832 V
+12V 12.032 V
+3.3V 3.424 V
+5V 5.133 V

@flavallee Bit of a new noob so forgive me if I don't understand that all too well, but are you saying I should switch to a single RAM?

Thanks again for the help everyone.

Edit: Uploaded a new image since the previous one didn't agree with size restrictions.

Attachments

Last edited:

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I've never heard of an "Ultimate" version of Windows 8.1.
are you saying I should switch to a single RAM?
No. I was just wondering why you're using so little RAM for a gaming desktop.
Personally, I would use 4 matching 2 GB modules or 4 matching 4 GB modules.

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
As CRJ, has stated please use the Intel utility. Speecy has been to to not be accurate in the past.

As for your power question, no not necessarily. It may work fine and even play fine for awhile UNTIL it physically gets too much strain on its internal components and then produces the problems you're describing.

tyrionlannister

I've never heard of an "Ultimate" version of Windows 8.1.

No. I was just wondering why you're using so little RAM for a gaming desktop.

Sorry about that; that was utter negligence on my part. Updated the specs.

tyrionlannister

As CRJ, has stated please use the Intel utility. Speecy has been to to not be accurate in the past.

As for your power question, no not necessarily. It may work fine and even play fine for awhile UNTIL it physically gets too much strain on its internal components and then produces the problems you're describing.
What utility are you exactly referring to? I found that Intel Active Monitor doesn't even recognize my board as an Intel one.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online