Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Also, are you sure you have the described Intel motherboard in that computer?

--------------------------------------------------------------

crjdriver

It would help if you monitored voltages while stressing the system. Use prime95 or IBT [intel burn test] to stress the system. Monitor the voltages while doing the stress test. Let it run for at least 10~15min and see if the 12V rail drops.

tyrionlannister

Thanks.
Also, are you sure you have the described Intel motherboard in that computer?

--------------------------------------------------------------
Quite sure. I double-checked.
It would help if you monitored voltages while stressing the system. Use prime95 or IBT [intel burn test] to stress the system. Monitor the voltages while doing the stress test. Let it run for at least 10~15min and see if the 12V rail drops.
Will do. Thanks.

tyrionlannister

Used Prime95 and FurMark to stress test the CPU and GPU simultaneously, and recorded the results.
prime95 results:
+12.0V - 12.030
+5.0V - 5.100
+3.3V - 3.390

prime95 + FurMark results:
+12.0V - 11.770V
+5.0V - 5.060V
+3.3V - 3.310V

Interestingly enough, the PC rebooted just after I stopped the FurMark stress test.

Edit: Apparently prime95 doesn't impact the voltages at all, since FurMark alone reported the same results and the standby results were identical to the prime95 results I've posted above.

Last edited:

crjdriver

Prime95 is cpu and or ram intensive. It is a stability test. Furmark is a video card test and as such will make more of a demand on the pw supply. As you can see, you have found your problem. Look at the voltage drop on the 12V rail. As I said, install a quality pw supply as the first step. Most likely that will fix the problem; in any case, you must fix the voltage drop before doing anything else.
Here is an example of what you need for that system;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151108

Last edited:

tyrionlannister

No. I was just wondering why you're using so little RAM for a gaming desktop.
Personally, I would use 4 matching 2 GB modules or 4 matching 4 GB modules.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Apparently missed this message since I was on my cell. Anyway I just found out that both RAMs have different manufacturers and ridiculously low frequencies. With that said they apparently seemed to work fine on a different computer I had a year ago. Could this cause hard reboots?

Also, could failed capacitors be blamed?

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
Mismatched memory could be a factor.

Yes BLOWN CAPS CAN DEFINITELY CAUSE PROBLEMS. We should wait on CrjDrivers input but most likely you have found the culprit

tyrionlannister

Prime95 is cpu and or ram intensive. It is a stability test. Furmark is a video card test and as such will make more of a demand on the pw supply. As you can see, you have found your problem. Look at the voltage drop on the 12V rail. As I said, install a quality pw supply as the first step. Most likely that will fix the problem; in any case, you must fix the voltage drop before doing anything else.
Here is an example of what you need for that system;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151108
A little out of my budget, how about this one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182294
Mismatched memory could be a factor.

Yes BLOWN CAPS CAN DEFINITELY CAUSE PROBLEMS. We should wait on CrjDrivers input but most likely you have found the culprit
Don't want to replace the PSU unless I absolutely have to, since my current one hasn't nearly run out of warranty yet.
Will try using a single memory stick, and check for any bulging caps and report the results.

crjdriver

Junk. Do not replace one junk unit with another one.
Rosewill is the in house brand from newegg and a VERY few of their pw supplies are ok however that one is not one of them.
Look, you spent a LOT of money on a video card and you want to go cheap on the pw supply. Same thing as buying a Z06 Corvette and putting in reclaimed oil; just not a bright thing to do.

Last edited:

tyrionlannister

Did you find any leaking capacitors? Failed caps look like these pics.
No leakages, but a couple of them are bulging. Not sure what to make of it, but they move when poked. The board is about 4 years old.

Junk. Do not replace one junk unit with another one.
Rosewill is the in house brand from newegg and a VERY few of their pw supplies are ok however that one is not one of them.
Look, you spent a LOT of money on a video card and you want to go cheap on the pw supply. Same thing as buying a Z06 Corvette and putting in reclaimed oil; just not a bright thing to do.
Could you give me a couple of options like some good brands, series, etc.?

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
Corsair AX, AI, HX, RM and TX models are all fine.

FSP and PC Power and Cooling.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.