1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Random Colors of Doom

Discussion in 'Games' started by Zogog, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zogog

Zogog Thread Starter

I'm having a bit of trouble with my new computer. It only happens when I am playing a game (such as CS:S, Guild Wars, EverQuest 2) when suddenly my computer screen turns either a bright magenta or light brown. This only happens when I have been playing the same game for a considerable amount of time (3-4 hours).

Another odd thing about it is that sometimes I can see the mouse cursor (and I can also move it around), while other times I cannot. If there was something playing in the background such as TeamSpeak or music, it freezes (ex: if someone was saying "Hi" it would come out "Hi-Hi-Hi-Hi-Hi-Hi-Hi").

One more thing. The past 2 times this has happened it has been because I have gone AFK for 2-3 hours, and as soon as I wiggle the mouse -- it locks up.

2. gamewolf

gamewolf

Can you list your computer specs?

3. Zogog

Zogog Thread Starter

Sure can!

Processor:
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
    Memory:
    2046MB RAM
    Hard Drive:
    500 GB Maxtor
    Video Card:
    EVGA nVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT SC
    Monitor:
    SyncMaster 906BW
    Sound Card:
    Realtek High Definition Audio (onboard)
    Speakers/Headphones:
    Plantronics PLN AUDIO350 Headset
    Keyboard:
    HP PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse:
    Logitech G5
    Operating System:
    Windows Vista¬ô Ultimate

4. RoBe

RoBe

have you tried reinstalling drivers? maybe it's a driver issue

5. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    This could be a heat issue, Sounds a little similar to a problem I had with my 8800GT. When the GPU went over 75 degrees it became a little unstable, I know that isnt necessarily that hot as GPUs go but it did cause a problem.

After some research online, finding other people with the same problems, I downloaded NTune direct from the NVidia website. Its free and adds a great deal more control over you GPU etc. Install it, open up your graphics properties as normal and you should see some extra pages listed down the left side. Open the GPU control section (cant remember exact name), you will have to accept a license agreement because you can adjust GPU voltages, clock speeds etc in here. When in their change the Fan Control to Direct Control and set it at around 50%, only bother doing this if you are going to be gaming. There is very little increase in fan noise at that speed but ever since I did that I haven't had a single crash.

6. Zogog

Zogog Thread Starter

I'll try increasing the fan speed and post my results.

7. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    No probs, hopefully that will sort it. Always good to try the easy / free options before anything else.

8. Zogog

Zogog Thread Starter

I bumped the fan up to 90%. Still having this problem.

I was told by a friend that this could be a memory problem, would running Memtest help diagnose this?

EDIT: The more intensive the game is, the faster it happens. For example, when I play the Crysis demo and Bioshock it can happen within 1-2 hours, but when I play Guild Wars it takes 3-4 hours.

9. sup2a

sup2a

it certainly does sound like a heat issue, try monitoring all the temperatures you can, the colour issue sounds like it is the card overheating and it is very common

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702174

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice