1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Random computer sleep mode

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by andrae87, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrae87

andrae87 Thread Starter

About 2 weeks ago my computer turned off randomly while I was doing my homework. I was doing some troubleshooting with it and realized that whenever I had power plugged into my graphics card my computer wouldn't turn back on at all and when I unplugged the power from the card it would turn on. What is strange is that I bought the graphics card back in May and it already fried on me? I contacted EVGA and got them to replace it for me even though it was 5 months out of warranty. I finally received the new one today and I am experiencing some pretty irritating issues that I hope you guys can help me with. Everything starts up now with the power going to the card. Now.. it will start up fine and when it gets to the windows logo the monitor just goes to sleep mode randomly. I was able to start it up just fine with safe with and networking so I uninstalled the display driver and got the one for my graphics card from the nvidia site. After I did that I restarted and it seemed to start up okay so I tried to play WoW. As soon as WoW opened up the display went back into sleep mode. I don't know what is going on but this is extremely irritating. Can anyone give any info on this please? Also.. I would like to add... when I go into dxdiag it doesn't even list my display driver at all but it does list it in my device manager that I have it.

Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM)2 Quade CPU Q9400 @ 2.66GHz 2.67 GHz
    Memory: 4GB
    Motherboard: Gigabyte EP45-UD3L
    Display: Nvidia 480 GTX
    Driver Version: 8.17.12.8562

2. andrae87

andrae87 Thread Starter

Here is an update:

Removed every nvidia folder and driver and did a fresh install of the driver. First I wanted to see if the windows update one that was found works and I opened up WoW and the monitor went to sleep for a second and came back on after. I alt-tabbed out and noticed that there was an error that occurred.

Product: Windows
    Problem: Video hardware error
    Date 11/2/2011

Problem Even Name: LiveKernelEvent
    OS Version: 6.06002.2.2.0768.2
    Locale ID: 1033

WD-20111102-2104.dmp
    sysdata.xml
    Version.txt

BCCode: 117
    BCP1: 87B78008
    BCP2: 9012AB2C
    BCP3: 00000000
    BCP4: 00000000
    OS Version: 6_0_6002
    Server Pack: 2_0
    Product: 768_1

I have also noticed when viewing all of the video hardware errors that I have racked up over the last couple of months with the same card have all been pretty much the same thing. Would that be the reason why the graphics card went out in the first place? Any answers or solutions to this would be much appreciated.

3. andrae87

andrae87 Thread Starter

Anyone??? I turn my computer on and the drivers will stop responding repeatedly after every single attempt.. no views on this? I could use some help..

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025197

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice