Random computer sleep mode

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

andrae87

About 2 weeks ago my computer turned off randomly while I was doing my homework. I was doing some troubleshooting with it and realized that whenever I had power plugged into my graphics card my computer wouldn't turn back on at all and when I unplugged the power from the card it would turn on. What is strange is that I bought the graphics card back in May and it already fried on me? I contacted EVGA and got them to replace it for me even though it was 5 months out of warranty. I finally received the new one today and I am experiencing some pretty irritating issues that I hope you guys can help me with. Everything starts up now with the power going to the card. Now.. it will start up fine and when it gets to the windows logo the monitor just goes to sleep mode randomly. I was able to start it up just fine with safe with and networking so I uninstalled the display driver and got the one for my graphics card from the nvidia site. After I did that I restarted and it seemed to start up okay so I tried to play WoW. As soon as WoW opened up the display went back into sleep mode. I don't know what is going on but this is extremely irritating. Can anyone give any info on this please? Also.. I would like to add... when I go into dxdiag it doesn't even list my display driver at all but it does list it in my device manager that I have it.

Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM)2 Quade CPU Q9400 @ 2.66GHz 2.67 GHz
Memory: 4GB
Motherboard: Gigabyte EP45-UD3L
Display: Nvidia 480 GTX
Driver Version: 8.17.12.8562

andrae87

Here is an update:

Removed every nvidia folder and driver and did a fresh install of the driver. First I wanted to see if the windows update one that was found works and I opened up WoW and the monitor went to sleep for a second and came back on after. I alt-tabbed out and noticed that there was an error that occurred.

Product: Windows
Problem: Video hardware error
Date 11/2/2011

Problem Even Name: LiveKernelEvent
OS Version: 6.06002.2.2.0768.2
Locale ID: 1033

WD-20111102-2104.dmp
sysdata.xml
Version.txt

BCCode: 117
BCP1: 87B78008
BCP2: 9012AB2C
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_0_6002
Server Pack: 2_0
Product: 768_1

I have also noticed when viewing all of the video hardware errors that I have racked up over the last couple of months with the same card have all been pretty much the same thing. Would that be the reason why the graphics card went out in the first place? Any answers or solutions to this would be much appreciated.

andrae87

Anyone??? I turn my computer on and the drivers will stop responding repeatedly after every single attempt.. no views on this? I could use some help..

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online