Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Random crash, bios continuous beep

4K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Derrick 
#1 ·
Hi guys, i was trying to surf the net about 20 mins ago on my computer when all of a sudden the power just turned right off, i initially thought black out, but none of the other computers crashed. And then my computer tried to restart, and it seemed like the power kept on cutting on and off, so i turned the PSU off at the back, waited, turned back on and restarted and i just get the continuous beeps and the screen flashes a message saying i havent plugged in the power on my AGP. But there is lights on the AGP and everything else starts running. The fan on the graphics card runs and everything. I unplugged every cable from the PSU and reconnected, the AGP is still snug in its slot.

Computer is about 4-5 months old, all parts purchased separately and i installed, there has not been any problems until now.

Antec sonata 2 smartpower PSU, 450W which has only 1 PCIe power cable.
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4 mobo
Gecube 1900XTXD-VIE3 512mb radeon PCIe.
Intel Core2 DUO E6600 2.4GHz1066MHz FSB 4MB L2 cache
300GB Western Digital HDD SATA2 7200rpm
2GB GSkill (2x1GB) DDR2800 4-4-4-12 (F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ)
Benq 19inch monitor
Samsung 16xDVD DL oem Optical drive
Nortons Internet Secruity, updated when it booted, bout 15 mins before the crash.

Any more info you want i am more than willing to provide,
Thank you in advanced
Tom

See less See more
#2 ·
A continuous beeping is generally one of three things a bad motherboard, a bad power supply or the best of the three a bad keyboard. Possible stuck key too. From your description though since you were up and running when it crashed I'd vote for the PSU first.

The video card can run, get power, from the bus so even if it's not getting power from the PSU directly it's still getting some. If you put your rig together then you should be able to get another compatible power supply from another machine for a test. That would be my first suggestion. You did say there were other machines in the house?

#5 ·
hi, just another note, this morning before work i pulled the graphics card out and booted the computer, and my mobo does not have its own monitor out, so i just had to listen, and yeah it didnt make any abnormal beeps, and sounds like it always does on start up. Am i safe to assume that even though the graphics card fan works and there is a light on it that works, albeit red, where the additional power cable plugs in, that it is the graphics card, not the psu that is broken? If you say yes, i will express it to the place of purchase for them to deal with under warrenty.
Thanks guys.

#6 ·
It might be that the graphics card is overloading the PSU. Borrow your friends, if that works and yours doesn't, you've found your problem.

#8 ·
yeah i live in a townin australia outside of the capitals, so its hard to get none mass products. i have a friend with a PCIe psu, so i will take my comp round to his asap to check it out. Would the PSU fail like that mid use after months of perfect order?

#9 ·
Cars fail, monitors fail, people die of old age. Yes it could, especially if there was a power surge or dip and you run without surge protection. Or surgeprotection or not, lighning storms. I hard they're bad down under.

#10 ·
It may have overheated or got overloaded at some point, 450w may be all you need, but it's pretty close to being underpowered. What do you have the setup plugged into? A good powerbar with protection on it is a must, even better.... a battery backup that regulates voltage!

Oh have you checked the fan on the power supply and is there much dust inside it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.